10-15 degree difference between floors

Old 07-15-08, 05:46 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
10-15 degree difference between floors

I have a bi-level with the bottom floor half beneath the ground. The typical temp variation is 10 degrees minimum, if the Central Air is on and even if i close off registers(I know I shouldn't really close them all off) the difference is 15 degrees minimum. There is one large and two small returns upstairs(all mounted high) and two small returns downstairs(mounted low).

I would like to run the fan without the AC to circulate the always cooler lower level air throughout the house when I can to save electricity. Is there a way to do this easily? The returns downstairs do not seem to pull alot of air compared to the upstairs ones. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-15-08, 09:41 AM
There usually is a diff. between upstairs and downstairs, because as we all know heat wants to go up and cold to come down. You may want to have a tech. check your ductwork just in case.

However if you want to simply run your blower motor 24/7, just switch your thermostat to auto. When the A/C switches off, the blower will keep running circulating air. This may or may not make a big difference.

Of course you could always add a suplimental window unit or portable unit for upstairs.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-08, 10:40 AM
F
You mean switch the thermostat fan to on instead of auto right. I plan on doing that but i have another thread about my thermostat being wired wrong since my compressor always turns on when you run the fan even with the system on heat/cool/off.

I don't want to add a window unit as I have 4 bedrooms upstairs to cool. I would just like to use more of the air from downstairs in the return portion of the system and less from upstairs, especially since it is that much cooler I can cut back on my AC useage.

Old 07-15-08, 12:45 PM
I did mean on on your thermostat. Auto was an error .

As far as the wiring problem with your thermostat, I am not sure what the issue. A technician may be needed. Once that issue is resolved, you can use the fan to circulate 24/7.

Old 07-15-08, 04:10 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does the air feel like it blows out the registers as good upstairs as downstairs?

And what is the temp of the air entering where your furnace filter is and what is the temp coming out a first floor register and an upstairs register. (All these temps need to be taken reasonably around the same time, while the unit runs.)

Do you regularly change furnace filters?, and know that the history of changing filters has always been regular? And has anyone ever gone into the compartment where the evaporator coil is to see how it looks?

It is feasible that one of the reasons for your disparity is that your a/c is really not working that good, and the reason the downstairs is cooler is that it is half-way below ground. But we'll see what you actually say those temps are.

Old 07-15-08, 10:19 PM
If...

If you switch your fan to "On" - Make sure you Check/change your filter much more often!!!! - You will be filtering dust and such on a 24 hour 7 days a week basis - Lots of things will change by doing this - Most are good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: