Blower Motor

Old 07-15-08, 04:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower Motor

Our ac fan unit kept locking up...and the compresser hummed..my husband went and bought a fan motor and new capacitor. He installed and the fan kicked on and after about a minute it tripped the breaker. The air coming out of the top of unit was cool (isn't it supposed to be hot?). Also, my husband found that the compressor was hot to the touch. He said that there was a ground on the new motor but we did not have one on the old one. Does the ground need to be hooked up?

Thanks for any help!!!

Old 07-15-08, 10:14 PM
Was it

Was it originally a single (known as a dual cap) capacitor for the compressor and fan motor? Was the breaker popping open before your husband wired the cap?

At this point you need to check both the fan, and compressor separately/individually windings to ground. See if there is a direct short in either motor - Could be your husbands wiring for sure, but check for shorts first.

Its most likely very simple - just hang in there and write back. Take pictures... It will be much much easyer!

Old 07-16-08, 12:43 AM
A
This sounds almost exactly like what was just happening with my husband's install of our blower motor.

We had an extra line on the new motor that our unit didn't have.

Jarredsdad helped us immensely...perhaps you should take a look at our thread.

Obviously, model numbers will help, don't just do what my husband did because ours may be completely different from yours.

Here's the link to our discussion:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=352367

Last edited by akcskye; 07-16-08 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added our link to our thread

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: