Fan Blades on outside unit slow then stop

Old 07-16-08, 07:34 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fan Blades on outside unit slow then stop

The fan blades on the outside unit slow then stop, then makes some kind of humming noise. It only does this after the sun sets and is not bearing down on it. If it sits for a while, it can start and then runs fine for a day or so. Is the fan motor bad or can it be lubricated or cleaned? How much does something like this cost to repair parts and labor? Is it possible for me do the repair. I am an electronics technician but this is my first house and first central air unit. I have no idea what brand it is, it just says 5000 on the top of the unit.

Old 07-17-08, 05:55 PM
Most likely

A bad fan cap. ( and usually the fan goes bad shortly after)

Old 07-17-08, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts

The "5000" makes me think it is a Tempstar or Heil (same thing). If my guess is right, it has some age on it. The fan capacitor is worth a shot & some of the condenser fan motors they used did have oil ports along the upper & lower rims. The ports are usually plugged with either yellow plastic or aluminum plugs. Remove the plugs & add a few drops of 20 weight oil. As I recall there was something strange about those motors, maybe the bolt circle where they bolt thru the top(?).

Old 07-17-08, 07:36 PM
M
Air Conditioning Help

You can change the capacitor (mandatory) and lubricate but you should go ahead and get a new fan motor if for no other reason than it has been running hot and will fail in the near future

Old 07-20-08, 05:02 PM
D
Thanks for the input. It is a tempstar and I am going to look into the needed cap and motor. Now the new problem. It used to be that if the fan would spin, the ac blew cold. Now it no longer blows cold, even when the fan spins. Any ideas? Could the freon be low? I was planning on getting on a mantinence agreement with our local HVAC company just for intelligence reasons. They include up to 2 pounds of freon if needed. I have no concept of how much that is. Lastly, where online could I find the parts I need?

Old 07-21-08, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Not cooling

Is the compressor running or just the fan? Don't allow this equipment to run without the fan operating properly. To do so risks serious damage to the compressor.

Old 07-24-08, 07:49 PM
M
A C Repair

If this unit has a dual capacitor (the same run cap for both the compressor and fan) and it probably does then it has just probably gone bad on it's other circuit shut it dowsn before you do permanent damage and make the necessary repairs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: