How to wire disconnect box/condenser

Old 07-18-08, 10:28 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to wire disconnect box/condenser

I am installing a new AC system in the house. I ran a 6/3 cable from the main panel to the disconnect box. From there, I am running a 8/2 whip to the condenser.

I connected the red and black wires from the service panel cable to line terminals in the disconnect box, and the ground to the ground bar. I will connect the red and black wires from the whip to the load terminals. My question is, what do I do with the extra wire from the service panel cable (white) that is now in the disconnect box? I don't think I am supposed/allowed to bond neutrals to ground in a subpanel or disconnect box - do I just put a wire nut on it and leave it tucked away?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-08, 01:00 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Unless you had the 6-3 lying around why did you use it from the service panel to the A/C disconnect? And why are you running 8-2 from the disconnect to the unit?

No matter now, just "dead end" the white by screwing a wire nut on each end and storing it in the panel.

Old 07-19-08, 06:54 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yep, the 6/3 was already in place, so that's why I used it. As for the 8/2 whip, that's what they sell (and really, that is all I need, as the AC does not have a place for a neutral connection). The 6/3 is from a 50A fuse at the service panel, and the disconnect has 40A fuses protecting the 8/2 whip, so the wire ampacity is matched to the overload protection.

Your suggestion makes sense, I'll just wire nut the unused white wire at both ends.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: