Composition of condensate h2o

Old 07-19-08, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Composition of condensate h2o

Since I didn't see an area for Chemistry.....lol.

Is the water from an A/C drain considered "distilled"? I know it's not steam distilled, but other than what it may pick up from the pan and the drain pipe, is it pretty much mineral free?

I'm not going to drink it, don't worry. I already collect it and use it to water some outdoor plants. Could I also use it in some indoor plants and in the bird bath?

Our city water is pretty hard and leaves deposits on planters, pots, etc.

Old 07-19-08, 11:30 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You'd think. It's just condensation gasthering on the outside of the coils. I wouldn't want to drink whatever was down in that pan, though.

Furnace gas condensate is something else. That is acidic, and can eat up ventor fan metal retainer clips, for one thing.

Old 07-19-08, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Thx Ecman
So, do you think it would be ok for the uses mentioned?

This is a roof mounted package unit. The condensate comes off the evap coil right into a relatively clean pan, then to a PVC drain down the roof to my catch bucket. I just went up and cleaned, washed and straightened fins on the condenser coil, and cleaned out the pan and coil on the evap side.

I guess I could do the old science class trick with the light bulb to check for its mineral content.

Old 07-19-08, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, to all uses you mentioned.

Good for plants in and out. Won't hurt the birds either.

Old 07-19-08, 12:28 PM
E
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
I guess I could do the old science class trick with the light bulb to check for its mineral content.
Off the original topic, but - you picked my curiousity. Can you refresh my memory?

Old 07-19-08, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Shoot...just saw it in an old post. Take a lamp with one leg of the wire cut. Submerge both ends of cut leg in a beaker of distilled water. Lamp will not light. Slowly add salt (or NaCl, since it was chemistry class, lol) and agitate. As mineral content increases lamp will slowly come to full brightness. Of course all with glass beakers, face shields, and rubber gloves, etc, etc

I know thats not exactly right, and IIRC we did it the other way, running the water thru a distillation process until the light didn't come on.

Old 07-19-08, 01:07 PM
E
So it is not just magic with a bulb. We are dealing with supplied voltage, and you are putting the neutral wire in the salt water? Is that it? If so - yikes -not a test many people should be doing, if that is the case.

Maybe back in school something similar was done with maybe a DC bulb wired to a source, perhaps?

Old 07-19-08, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said..don't remember the details...it has been 35 yrs or so. I'm sure there was a switch of some sort...but pretty sure it wasn't DC, but coulda been. Our school couldn't afford that fancy stuff like batteries or power supplies...lol.

As long as you didn't complete the circuit with yer body, I guess it was safe. Of course nowadays, chemistry class probably doesn't involve chemicals that could hurt you, if you drank them or poured them in your eyes. Ahhhh the good old days of acids and magnesium pellets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: