Living in a Wind Tunnel

Old 07-21-08, 12:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Living in a Wind Tunnel

I recently purchased a small house, 1190 s.f., 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage. The inspector found an issue with the drain pan (strange homegrown set-up) and we made replacement part of the deal. Well, they actually replaced the entire air handler to the tune of $2,200 with a 3-ton unit. Good for me. Right?

Since summer hit, whenever the a/c is on, I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel. It's actually getting to the point of uncomfortable because you're in a warm room with a cold breeze. The registers are in the wall near the ceiling and I adjusted them so they wouldn't blow on me when I'm sitting on the sofa, but now they blow stuff off of the coffee table. It blows in the stove when I'm cooking, and it blows on the food when I'm eating.

Is there something wrong with this picture? Knowing awfully little about residential HVAC, I'm wondering if the former owners were oversold on the unit and it's just too big, or since they were leaving didn't give a flip about what was installed or how it was adjusted. If I crawled into the attic, would I be able to find something I can adjust to control the air flow? Is this something I should call the home warranty people about? Is this something the people who installed it should be willing to take care of? The unit is a Goodman ARUF364216.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 07-21-08, 01:27 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I'm wondering if the former owners were oversold on the unit and it's just too big, or since they were leaving didn't give a flip about what was installed or how it was adjusted.
Either (or both) of these suppositions could be true.

If I crawled into the attic, would I be able to find something I can adjust to control the air flow?
Maybe.

Is this something I should call the home warranty people about?
Perhaps.

Is this something the people who installed it should be willing to take care of?
Yes.

Now here's the scoop. This is NOT right. The installer should have done a balancing of the system before leaving. However, since you are not the "purchaser" of the system it is possible the installer won't give you the time of day...at least not without charging you for service. You may be able to get some satisfaction from Goodman or your home warranty company but don't be surprised if they also want some money up front.

It could be as simple as changing the blower speed but that is NOT something a homeowner should do on a whim. There needs to be a minimum airflow over the evaporator (cooling) coil to prevent freeze up and a homeowner does not have the instruments to determine this. If this is also a fuel-fired heating system then there is also a minimum and maximum airflow over the furnace heat exchanger and again, a homeowner rarely has the equipment or expertise to determine if the airflow is within the requirements. The requirements between heating and cooling are often different.

If you were to make any changes in the airflow you would probably be voiding any warranty that may exist. I would try the installer first.

Old 07-22-08, 08:08 PM
Diffusers

Get new supply diffusers that have a different throw value. - (opposed blade is better) Relieves the static pressure and sound too!

* Happens with heatpumps all the time!

Last edited by The Real Deal; 07-22-08 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 08:54 PM
Thanks for Replies

Thanks for the info and replies. I got brave and called the installer. He said he replaced the old one with the same size and the factory default on the flow is set to "high." He said he'd be happy to set it to medium and see how that does, but wants to come out and tinker with the registers to see if fixes it. Free of charge. I'll keep you posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: