Thermostat Settings Are Uncomfortable

Old 07-22-08, 03:23 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Settings Are Uncomfortable

Hello, I'm Anthony and this is my first post on the do it yourself forums. I seem to have a little problem with my thermostat. I'm in the Navy and I've been placed in a room that has a pre-determined thermostat, meaning that I can't choose my own temperature. Actually I can choose between 74 and 75 degrees (Thats it!). I guess I'm warm blooded because thats way to hot for me. On top of that the room sits at a good 76-77 degrees. Usually I'd just tolerate it, but this is going to be my home for the next four to five years. I was hoping to get some advice on maybe a work around, any advice on cooling this room down would be greatly appreciated as it would contribute to my quality of life. By the way I've tried taking it up with the building management and they say "The room feels good". Thanks again.

Edit: The thermostat is a digital thermostat by Invensys, if that helps any. I can't see any model number, but I can pop the face plate off and unscrew it from the wall... Which is tempting!

Last edited by Antholny14; 07-22-08 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Adding Thermostat Info
Old 07-22-08, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Antholny14
Hello, I'm Anthony and this is my first post on the do it yourself forums. I seem to have a little problem with my thermostat. I'm in the Navy and I've been placed in a room that has a pre-determined thermostat, meaning that I can't choose my own temperature. Actually I can choose between 74 and 75 degrees (Thats it!). I guess I'm warm blooded because thats way to hot for me. On top of that the room sits at a good 76-77 degrees. Usually I'd just tolerate it, but this is going to be my home for the next four to five years. I was hoping to get some advice on maybe a work around, any advice on cooling this room down would be greatly appreciated as it would contribute to my quality of life. By the way I've tried taking it up with the building management and they say "The room feels good". Thanks again.

Edit: The thermostat is a digital thermostat by Invensys, if that helps any. I can't see any model number, but I can pop the face plate off and unscrew it from the wall... Which is tempting!
Hi Anthony,

"The room sits at 76-77 degrees," -It appears the unit will not even satisfy the room T-stat.
The capacity of the unit appears inadequate to satisfy the 74-75 degree settings.

I would buy a large fan to circulate the air, this will help keep you cooler.

There is not much else that I would suggest, until those in charge are willing to go long with it. HVAC RETIRED - udarrell

Old 07-22-08, 12:49 PM
A
I was kinda hoping to macgyver a solution. I already have a 32inch floor fan and a ceiling fan going constanly at full speed. And its 100 degrees outside. Anyone else have ideas?

Old 07-22-08, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Well, buddy, if its a contracted room, go back to the management and say "I'm uncomfortable and want it adjusted". If they don't respond, go to the Housing office and let 'em know whats going on.

4-5 yrs? Where the heck did you get stationed?

If its a barracks room, well, its better than being one deck above the engine room in the South China Sea or the Med when its 125 on the deck plates.

Don't be messing with the thermostat (surprised you even have one), or be prepared for a big fat bill when ya move out.
Seen it happen, done it myself (handing them the bill I mean...lol)

If yer in Europe (Italy or similar) or Bahrain you need to find the maintenance guy and make very very good friends with him. Buy him a coffee or 2 and he'll take care of you.

Thanks for being there!! Some still appreciate yer service.

Vic
24 yrs hazegrey and underway

Old 07-22-08, 01:48 PM
A
Thanks for the responce Vic. You've convinced me. Can you tell me how much having good weather stripping on a door can effect room temp? Right now I can see a great deal of day light under my door. around 3/8th an inch half way on the bottom of the door.

Old 07-22-08, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
That shouldn't be a huge deal...throw a rolled up towel down at the door gap and see if it helps...but I'd doubt it.

Where are you and what are you living in...that would make a big diff in the advice.

There are guys on here that have way more knowledge than me, and some have lived all over the world as well.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-22-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 03:43 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If a 23 or 24 degree drop in temperature, from the outside, (comparing the 100 degrees you said it is outside, with the 76-77 inside), is not good enough for you, I am wondering how you can function at all outside? Just curious. That is quite a temperature differential.

Old 07-22-08, 05:59 PM
Beat the system!

I assure you this will work!

Put a 50-100 watt lamp, with (a Small) lampshade...on a nice end table... to make it inconspicious (height should be just below the thermostat!) and turn on the lamp! That il heat up that nasty little t-stat and get it cool like a meat locker in the room (Bet its a chiller and fancoil unit for a dorm room huh?)!!!! lmao....

If ya really want to get technical - put a timer (like the wall socket timer) on the lamp socket where you plug it in, so it goes off when you leave in the morning, and comes on 1 hour before you return in the evening!

* The stat says 76-77, but its set at 75....sensor indice is probably wrong and needs calibration.

* You owe me!

Last edited by The Real Deal; 07-22-08 at 07:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: