Moblie Home AC Problem

Old 07-22-08, 12:55 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moblie Home AC Problem

I'm the owner of a double-wide mobile home which I've lived in for 8 months. The other day, a problem began with the AC that I cannot explain at all.

The house, running North-South, has air vents divided situationally East & West from the center line of the home. All of the vents on the East side are blowing more air than usual, enough so that something hung on the wall near them are caused to flutter. While the West side of the house is getting almost no air in the vents. These are all floor vents, and the ductwork is underneath the house.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-08, 03:43 PM
T
Time to take a flashlight and climb under the house and see if your crossover flex ducting came detached or critters ripped it open.

Old 07-22-08, 03:47 PM
Typically

If you have kids(or the past owner had kids)...Toys and clothes that were supposed to be picked up and put away!!!... get put in the nice hidding place below the register...(after they figure out it comes up real easy, then it gets stuck in that high pressure, high static duct system ( The moble home ductwork is about 2 inches tall and 6 inches wide).

* If that is so...I will give you some solutions.

Old 07-22-08, 09:44 PM
G
We do indeed have dogs. One of the ducts was indeed torn open, but even after repairing the damage, it doesn't seem there has been no change in the airflow to the one side of the house. A piece of the actual duct that was broken loose was pulled out from within.

Is there a place where something actually sucked in would perhaps be blocking airflow to half the house? I'm really not sure of any technical terms here, Sorry.

Old 07-23-08, 06:29 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gaspless
The other day, a problem began ...

...the West side of the house is getting almost no air in the vents.
Sounds like a sudden failure, to me. Or else those kids would have been some real devious eager beavers 'toying' with all of them on one side, only.

Old 07-23-08, 09:58 AM
T
Smile

We do indeed have dogs. One of the ducts was indeed torn open, but even after repairing the damage, it doesn't seem there has been no change in the airflow to the one side of the house. A piece of the actual duct that was broken loose was pulled out from within.

Is there a place where something actually sucked in would perhaps be blocking airflow to half the house? I'm really not sure of any technical terms here, Sorry.
Check for good airflow where it came apart. then airflow at first register next to the crossover. Further inspection of ductwork under the house may be needed. A mirror and a flashlight in one of the registers on the side not working might help determine.
Hopefully it wasn't apart long enough for another critter to nest in there...a few years back had a double-wide that came apart. People called us out. Saw a skunk thru one of the registers. They got lucky and it didn't spray. Cranked the furnace up and he got out. Then repaired ducts.

Old 07-23-08, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Sounds like a sudden failure, to me. Or else those kids would have been some real devious eager beavers 'toying' with all of them on one side, only.
You obviously dont understand mobile home duct...

Stands to reason that all the registers are in a straight line - one trunk line per side on each side of the home (lets say in the living room where children play, or of course the childrens room!). If one is the leading edge of flow and something falls (Is Put) into the duct - it would block the rest of them down the line. (I thought it was obvious, but guess it isnt - It is also very common...)

* It is surprising for some to understand even small toys (a pair of childrens underware) can block the (High Static) duct in moblehomes with little effort.
* As for sudden failure...lol yep...that would do it sir!
* Its not as though it is stupid to think it could happen - It is rather the most obvious and likely, however that being said, it was only a thing to check for - not the only cause for such things - whether it is a broken trunkline (Flex to trunk) or a blocked HSP trunk does not matter - It is what causes it and that which is found to be the problem being one of the solutions provided here. ( Which is also obvious to most!..I Hope...)

Old 07-23-08, 05:51 PM
E
Originally Posted by The Real Deal
You obviously dont understand mobile home duct...
Well, some other person might not know how much the other person may or may not know, unless they say they don't know something.

Sometimes a person simply slips up on something for any number of reasons.

Yes, you are right in what you say, about the mobile home ducts. But you may or may no be right on your guess. Maybe we'll get to find out.

But there is another part of the ingredient, and that is where the blower is located in relation to the duct registers!

And I happen to know a little something about at least single wide mobile homes after being in that business 22 years. In those, the furnace with the blower is often located about 1/4 or 1/3rd the length from one end or the other - and some of the registers are on one side of the furnace blower and some are on the other. If some sizeable object fell down or was stuffed down say the east duct closest to the furnace, all west ones would still be full strength. In fact, maybe they'd blow out harder!

Double wides? Not familiar with the joinery of the ducts and where the blower is in relation.

Maybe the poster could fill us in on the layout of where the furnace/blower is and where the affected ducts are in relation, so we can guess better.

Old 07-23-08, 06:29 PM
E
. All of the vents on the East side are blowing more air than usual, enough so that something hung on the wall near them are caused to flutter. While the West side of the house is getting almost no air in the vents.
After coming back to the OP, now that you got me thinking, Real Deal, I guess it does sound like there is an obstruction, not a disconnect, if some of the registers (east registers) now are blowing harder.

Locating the problem you'd think would not be that difficult if he has some clue as to where the ducts run - and then figure out where it is blocked based on where the air comes out strong and then where at the other direction it comes out weak. It has to be between those spots.

We can rule cetain things out when considering where a T in the duct is located after this duct joins the two halves of the double wide. The problem would not be located down the top of a T, because then, only that one end of the top of the T would be short on air. But he makes it sound like the entire west half of the north-west oriented home is blocked, meaning it have to be in the area of the crossover, according to my thinking- if he is accurate in his assessment of which registers are strong and which all are weak.

And it must be something that does not give off an odor.

Old 07-23-08, 09:22 PM
G
Well, from reading all of the replies, I can only guess that while the ducting was torn open by the dogs something was blown further on in somewhere. While a piece of the liberated side was found futher into the duct, I'm not sure where to begin looking for where anything else may have ended up to block.

I don't know how to locate the crossover you mention, nor do I have any experience with air conditioning. I just don't have the $600 every professional tells me it will cost. I'm hoping to find the obstruction somewhere and save the money, what with these gas prices and everything else going up.

As for the location of the blower, it's near the laundry room, which is where the backdoor is, approximately in the middle of the house (In the hallway that leads to the smaller bedrooms away from the living room and kitchen, and obviously the utility room). Those vents that are in line with it, or East of it's center line are blowing harder than usual, while those West are blowing hardly at all.

Old 07-24-08, 07:18 AM
E
If what you say is absoulutely unequivically true, that the ENTIRE west house (1/2 the entire mobile home) has less air coming out, while the ENTIRE east house has MORE air coming out, I'd have to presume that right at that furnace is where the crossover would go into the other half of the house. Say that the furnace is the bottom point on the letter "T". And say the vertical part of the letter "T" I just typed is the crossover. And say that the top horizontal of the "T" is the north-south duct in your west house section.

Then you MUST have a block right at that base of the "T" on the immediate the immediate west side of the furnace, in the duct there - or,anywhere just beyond, along the vertical part of the "T" (the crossover). It just has to be, if what you describe is accurate.

And even though it sounds logical this is how they would have designed the crossover to join the two halves of the home, you could call up a mobile home sales place and ask for a tech, and he could tell you if that is a logical assumption. And maybe he'd send a tip your way on how you could most easiest get into that crossover without lifting the furnace. You can keep in mind that somehow they hooked that all up and joined the trailer halves together, so this should be undoable somehow, in that area, you'd think.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: