Goodman fan & compressor just stopped yesterday

Old 07-27-08, 09:46 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman fan & compressor just stopped yesterday

This is my first post so please forgive me if I screw it up. My best friend and HVAC repairman helped me replace my ancient outside AC unit two years ago with a new Goodman model CKL36-1K. I believe it's a 2 Ton unit. Unfortunately cancer took him from us shortly afterwards or I wouldn't be bothering you guys for advice. My furnace is a vintage fuel oil burner. The outside unit's fan and compressor just stopped yesterday. Going from memory of things my friend taught me, I did some checking to see if it's something simple I can fix. Here's what I've learned:
1. Jumpered the red & yellow wires behind my thermostat plate to deduce it's not the thermostat.
2. Looked for a reset button the outside unit, there is none.
3. I set the thermostat to AC, temp to maximum then energized the contactor manually. I hear humming, not sure if it's from the compressor or fan or both. When I metered the contactor output, I got nearly zero voltage when it's energized.
4. Metered incoming voltage at the contactor, getting 280VAC
5. Did continuity test across the points, no problem there.
6. Inspected the capacitor, no bulging or leaks. It's the original dual motor 370 VAC model with three connections on top.
7. Hand turned the fan and it spins free and quiet. No sign of overheating or leaking fluid.
8. Put the thermostat in AC mode again, turned the temperature control to maximum, then the jumpered the fan wires across the capacitor. When I manually energize the contactor the fan works fine.
At this point, I want to test the compressor and capacitor to deduce which is the culprit. I tried to follow the wiring schematic label but thee old gray cells they ain't when they used to be. I don't want to jumper the wrong thing and make things worst. I do have a multi meter if you can give me some direction. Thanks in advance from sunny Florida! LOL Here's a few pictures: Outside unit control center: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...anCKL36-1K.jpg
Wiring schematic from label inside unit: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...gSchematic.jpg

Old 07-27-08, 10:06 AM
Sounds like

Most probable cause - The dual cap (dual because it services the fan and compressor) is bad - open/shorted. Replace it since you cant check it with a multimeter. - Dont Jump The Cap! as you stated in your post! You could smoke some stuff unknowingly since it is tied together by windings and posts...(also know that the compressor is most likely out on overload and might take several hours to cool before it will work again, even with a new cap.)

Old 07-27-08, 10:29 AM
B
Follow up to Goodman fan & compressor quit yesterday

OK here's a quick follow up. With my wife whining louder than our neighbor's heat pump, I decided to try a few more tests before the temperature inside our house exceeded the maximum setting on the thermostat. Here's more results:
9. I totally disconnected the compressor wires from the contactor and the capacitor. Now only the fan is connected to the capacitor. When I energized the contactor manually, the fan was dead. After I jumpered the fan wires at the capacitor again the fan worked. Does this mean the capacitor must be dead? Or is there some other safety circuit on this unit I'm overlooking that prevents the fan from running if the compressor is off? Please respond in all caps so I can hear you over my wife' whine. Thank you!!!

Old 07-27-08, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Bagwinger View Post
OK here's a quick follow up. With my wife whining louder than our neighbor's heat pump, I decided to try a few more tests before the temperature inside our house exceeded the maximum setting on the thermostat. Here's more results:
9. I totally disconnected the compressor wires from the contactor and the capacitor. Now only the fan is connected to the capacitor. When I energized the contactor manually, the fan was dead. After I jumpered the fan wires at the capacitor again the fan worked. Does this mean the capacitor must be dead? Or is there some other safety circuit on this unit I'm overlooking that prevents the fan from running if the compressor is off? Please respond in all caps so I can hear you over my wife' whine. Thank you!!!
The fan is running but will overheat if you continue to jumper it - It is the cap! The cap provides a 3rd phased leg to the motor/s. Without it they wont run -but when you jumper the cap - you provide the 3rd leg (That is not phase shifted) it will work till the motor overheats from the resistance! Quit trying to figure it out... DONT DO IT ANYMORE as I said! Or you might be buying a motor too besides the new dual cap! Thats a price tag of about $600.00 bucks here in Texas.

Old 07-27-08, 10:49 AM
B
Hey, thanks for the help. I ran the unit jumpered for about 5 seconds so hopefully I didn't smoke anything. No more jumpers! Is it OK to use a 440 volt cap in place of the 370?

Old 07-27-08, 10:51 AM
440 vs 370

Originally Posted by Bagwinger View Post
Hey, thanks for the help. I ran the unit jumpered for about 5 seconds so hopefully I didn't smoke anything. No more jumpers! Is it OK to use a 440 volt cap in place of the 370?
Yes! It is perfectly ok. Just dont go down from the rated "VOLTAGE". The UF is totally different and must be correct!

Old 07-27-08, 10:55 AM
B
Thanks again, you really know your stuff. Do you make service calls to Florida?

Old 07-27-08, 11:11 AM
Trip To Florida!

Thanks. I prefer Los angeles and Phoenix! DO I win a free trip?

David G. Austin Texas – 2008
AKA The Real Deal

Old 07-27-08, 11:42 AM
B
As a matter of fact I might be passing through your area in a few weeks, I could give you a lift. Thing is, my car AC has been acting up. And since you'll have your tools with you...

Old 07-27-08, 12:08 PM
lmao!

I dont do cars, I ride a Harley! (Figure's huh?) - My A/C is the road ahead with a pair of cheap sunglasses blocking the Airflow! and bugs.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: