Goodman A/C Big Problem!

Old 07-28-08, 11:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman A/C Big Problem!

My Goodman A/C is approximately 8 yrs. old. Just guessing. I noticed that it was still humming (inside) like it was running but no air was blowing out. I had to turn it off at the thermostat and after waiting for a while I could turn it back on and it started working again. It's done this about three times now. But it seems like it's blowing less air out of the ducts now. Can anyone venture an educated guess as to what this could be and how to go about fixing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-28-08, 05:34 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Doesn't sound too major to me, in the scheme of things. Sounds like either the bearing is out of oil and gummy, making it hard to turn - possibly bad bearing - or, the motor is electrically locking up due to bad windings. In the latter 2 cases, you'd need a new motor. But this is a DIY job for someone handy, and motors can be had for about $85-up from a motor shop.

If you were to open up the indoor unit's blower door with the unit turned off, and try to spin the blower motor squirrel cage, and it is kind of hard to spin, then the bearing may simply be gummy. See if you can detect side play by jiggling the shaft from side to side, careful not to confuse any clunking noise with end-play, which is normal. If you have any side to side play, then the bearing is shot and you probably need a new motor.

But if you are lucky and you detect no such side play and the squirrel cage feels stiff to turn, you could get lucky as I did where I fixed a situation like that early last year and got it freed up, by oiling it and spinning the shaft for quite a while, I believe with a socket in my drill - and have not had to replace the motor (yet). Subsequent vists to the address and spinning the blower wheel by hand has showed the spin-time actually increasing over time = excellent. I think it just ran out of oil.

Old 07-29-08, 01:12 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have a bad motor capacitor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: