A/C help needed

Old 07-29-08, 05:59 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C help needed

Back about a month or so ago I noticed the a/c was not blowing out cold air.I had an tech come out and look at it and check everything out and clean the indoor coil.He checked everything and all the pressures are good but the coil was a little dirty but not too bad. After he left it work ed fine fro awhile and then stopped cooling again.I can shut it off for the five minute time and it will come back on and will cool for anywhere from five minutes to several hours and then stop cooling again.Nothing changes in the unit or fan and it acts just like it's cooling and the only difference is that the air stops coming out cold and is room temp.The tech came back out and it was running fine at the time and he couldn't find anything wrong and can't explain this problem.He says it sounds like the compressor is cutting out but he's not sure.Do you guys have any suggestions?

Old 07-30-08, 06:55 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to go out there to the unit when it stops making the air cold, and hear if the compressor is really running along with the fan. Then let us know. This will rule out lots of things if it all really is running. No sense of bringing up lots of that stuff til we hear from you.

Old 07-30-08, 04:34 PM
M
Compressor

It's hard to tell but I'm pretty sure the compressor is not running when it stops cooling but it's hard to tell because the outdoor fan continues to run.

Old 07-30-08, 05:01 PM
E
You should still be able to hear the compressor. One way or another, you have to establish if it is or isn't.

Old 07-30-08, 05:50 PM
M
Compressor

Ok it seems there is a little bit of difference in the sound of the outdoor unit when it is cooling and when its not.I'm guessing the low hum is the compressor running because I didn't hear it when it when the air was blowing out at room temp.

Old 07-31-08, 08:16 AM
E
That means you are at that stage where you have to test the elctrical out there, where you can see/get to the contactor and compressor, if you have any hope to DIY this. Do you have a volt-ohm meter? Also the capacitor could be suspect.

Old 07-31-08, 04:10 PM
M
Compressor

Yes, I have a meter but the electrical stuff has already been checked out and was reading correct voltages.Of course this was done while the unit was blowing out cold air.The contactor is pulled in like it should be and seems to be working correctly.I guess its possible the capacitor could be going bad but if that's the case it wouldn't be working properly at all would it? Does the capacitor keep the compressor running or just start it?

Old 07-31-08, 06:19 PM
E
That is why you have to test things when it is not working. You can't electrically test things to show up as bad, when they are working. You could just replace the capacitor, to eliminate one possibility (if you find the compressor not working), since they are relatively inexpensive. The worst you'd be is you'd have a good spare.

Old 08-01-08, 02:18 PM
M
compressor

I could change the capacitor if you think it would help.What else would I need to check electrically?

Old 08-01-08, 04:08 PM
E
(I was almost done with a reply and lost it as my screen jumped to another site! )

Changing the capacitor may NOT help. I was just saying that considering the low cost, it may be worth taking the chance.

Other than that, you have to catch the compressor not working and test the contactor and compressor, and also visually inspect for loose connections, and arc-burns at terminals or contact points like in the contactor.

[Actual testing procedures have been given on several recent postings and I wonder if a 'sticky' gives the procedure.]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: