A/C air not getting cold

Old 07-30-08, 09:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C air not getting cold

The fan on the outside unit (compressor?) was not turning due to a mechanical blockage. I removed the blockage and the fan started up on it's own. I am guessing it was bound up for 2 or 3 hours but I'm not sure.

Now it has been running for several hours but things aren't getting cooler. I have cleaned the filter and the fins on the ouside unit. Also I have noticed the insulated pipe that runs from outside to inside is neither hot nor cold. I don't know what it is supposed to be but it must be insulated for a reason

The unit is a Lenox that is about 15 years old. It has worked fine until now.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 07-30-08, 04:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey there.

An expert will chime in I'm sure, but I can offer some advice.

Firstly, if the unit was still on while the fan was blocked, I'd be concerned about stress or damage to the compressor, if it still ran with the fan off.

The insulated line you mentioned is called the suction line. Refrigerant in a gas state returns to the compressor from inside your house via that line. It is supposed to be cold and it usually sweats from condensation due to it's temperature. The other uninsulated line (the liquid line) carries liquid refrigerant inside the house. Normally it is warm to hot.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: