changed motor and capacitor still have to push start fan

Old 07-30-08, 07:58 PM
changed motor and capacitor still have to push start fan

I just changed the fan condenser fan motor and capacitor (both from the same electrical motor shop) and I still have to give the fan the slightest push to start it, then it runs and cools fine. I have a Goodman unit with a dual capacitor. any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-08, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by lsuboy06 View Post
I just changed the fan condenser fan motor and capacitor (both from the same electrical motor shop) and I still have to give the fan the slightest push to start it, then it runs and cools fine. I have a Goodman unit with a dual capacitor. any ideas would be appreciated.
Check the line voltage going to the motor and if it's correct then recheck your capacitor. If the voltage is OK and the capacitor is OK, then you may have a defective or worn out motor/bushings.
Contrary to popular belief, the motor capacitor doesn't give the motor a "boost" but in fact the capacitor helps correct the phase angle shift caused by the inductance of the motor windings. IOW, introducing a capacitor into an inductive circuit makes it more efficient, but I digress...

Old 07-31-08, 04:14 PM
feel like an idiot

I had the wires to the capacitor wrong thanks anyway

Old 08-21-09, 10:08 AM
ac unit not working!!please help

my unit is a5 years i am having a problem i can hear the compressor trying ti come on but the blades do not start spinning unless I give them a little push then they start fine the motor cap fell hot to the touch.the vent inside the house do blower air not hot nor cold house temp.set at 70f but actual temperature reading is 82f?any suggestions.thanks in advance

Old 08-21-09, 11:07 AM
I would suggest replacing the capacitor in the condensing unit.