Save money on DIY mini duct system?

Old 08-01-08, 02:35 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Save money on DIY mini duct system?

I understand from the stickies that there are certain aspects of AC installation that I am not qualified to do on my own. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience installing their own mini duct system but having someone else wire it and charge it, and, if so, if the money saved was worth it? I have found kits available online that include the condenser, air handling unit, and ductwork; there are also service available for duct design and sizing the system. Would I be able to find a contractor willing to connect my system if they did not design and install it?

Old 08-01-08, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Speaking as a contractor, I can offer the comment that it would be a stretch to find a qualified a/c installer who would be satisfied with installing a customer supplied piece of equipment.

Aside from someone qualified having expectations of some mark-up on the equipment, there is an obligation to look after problems that occur after the installation.

Ya, I know you can agree to paying for any after install service but even if you are willing to pay it for the tech it is a royal pain in the neck to have to deal with it.
Especially if you had a rare occurance of a compressor failure, or worse, improperly sized or applied equipment.

Having said all this, you might be able to find someone who is less than qualified but manages to pull off a trouble free install.

I would suggest you shop around and compare buying the equipment against what a contractor would charge for a complete install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: