Drip Pan in Attic filling with water

Old 08-03-08, 03:50 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drip Pan in Attic filling with water

Yesterday our A/C was not working. After a trip to the attic the drip pan was full and the float had caused the A/C to shut off. Water was vacumned out and unit worked again. Pipe outside is draining properly so don't think is stopped up. Approx. 3 hours later the same thing happened. Filters at returns are clean. Is there a filter anywhere near the air handler in the attic (Trane unit) Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Thanks for any help!

Old 08-03-08, 08:49 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is the coil frozen up? Is the coil clean?

Old 08-03-08, 03:18 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You said the same thing happened after you vacuumed out the pan AND it drains. Then it can't be QUITE the same thing, since the first time it was not draining.

If it is draining, but still filling the pan, it obviously is not draining good enough.

How did you vacuum out the pan? Did you have it opened up to see the pan and coils or did you just suck through the hole? If the latter, airman may be onto something. Or, more gook broke free and partialy clogged hole again.

Last edited by ecman51; 08-03-08 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added more
Old 08-04-08, 02:05 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Reply to message

My husband is the one who went to the attic. I don't think the coil is visible. He went outside and took the shop vac and attached to the end of the drip line. A lot of gunk came out and it seems to be doing okay for now. It is supposed to be in the high 90's here later in the week so I am sure it will stop again then.

Old 08-04-08, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 261 Upvotes on 212 Posts
If a lot of gunk came out when he sucked it from the outlet, that's probably your answer. Although you were seeing some drainage I would suspect a partial clog and the water was being produced faster than it could drain past the partial clog.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: