Air Conditioner AFCI issue

Old 08-04-08, 06:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner AFCI issue

I am not a do it yourselfer unless I want something broken, but thought that this would be a good place to find an answer to my question.

The scenario:
I live in an apartment and recently my landlords replaced our A/C's (2) one in the bedroom and one in the Living room. These are in wall units from Fedders and they came equipped with Arc Detector Plugs. We began running the Air conditioners and they would shut off at inconsistent intervals. They would run for any where from 5 min to 4 hours and then the plug would trip and they would power off. This seemed strange to me, if one did it I would think that it was just that A/C or that AFCI but both of them would do it and at strange intervals and with zero interaction with other appliances, sometime simultaneously and sometimes independently. We called our land lord to inform her of this and she seemed completely ambivalent, it took us five days and threats to call the fire dept. and have them look at it, to get a repair man out to our apartment. He showed up today and all he did was pull the A/C out from the wall rip out the factory plug and put a different plug in its place.

My questions are as follows.

1. Has anyone else had an issue like this? ( I did look throughout this site and found nothing)
2. What could have caused this? (It was suggested to me that it could be an intermittent ground fault but this does not seem correct since it was an AFCI plug not a GFCI plug)
3. Does replacing just the plug seem like a reasonable solution? If not what other suggestions do you have? (Mind you the maintenance guy did no diagnostic testing of any kind the guy just pulled the plug and replaced it)
4. Does it seem normal for this to happen to two independent A/C's in different rooms?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mike

Old 08-05-08, 05:08 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd ask the guys in the electrical forum here, as they have discussed AFCI's and GFCI's there, and they know "code".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: