Unclogging the condenser drain

Old 08-05-08, 04:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unclogging the condenser drain

I've been reading the info on clogged condenser drains and resultant leaks (on the ceiling). I'm pretty sure that my drain is clogged. I've seen several references to using a shop vac to clear the drain. I don't have one. What can I use and where to I connect to clear the drain? I'm totally a novice here, so I'm fine with you treating me like a dummie as far as explanations and terminology. Thanks!

Old 08-05-08, 10:35 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do you mean the evaporator?

Old 08-05-08, 05:23 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Suck it clean, blow it clean, or access the compartment to really do a thorough job.

I have heard others here speak of an access panel. The units I have dealt with have none, and are somewhat a pain to work the sheetmetal to gain access. If you have no real quick way to gain access, you can try blowing in the fitting or tubing, inward. Can't say it will last, as more gook can float to the hole and replug it. But this generally works for me. You just have to maybe do this once in a while.

Old 08-05-08, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mandonglad
I've seen several references to using a shop vac to clear the drain. I don't have one. so I'm fine with you treating me like a dummie as far as explanations Thanks!
So, which part about the homeowner using a shop vac didn't you understand?

You could go and spend the same amount as you would a small wet vac on a gallo gun and blow the drain out. But then you would have then bought a tool that can only be used for one job vs a wet vac which can be used for many.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: