Condenser fan out of balance?

Old 08-09-08, 07:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Condenser fan out of balance?

Hello all
Yesterday I took the cage apart around my outdoor unit to clean the condenser coils. I put it all back together with all screws and now the fan motor/blade shakes the cage. I don't remember it being shaky and noisier than it is now. I took the lid off with fan attached and inspected my work on the cage and everything looked fine. Put it all back together and it still shakes. I'm afraid I'll burn out the motor if I don't figure this out.

I also looked at the blades and didn't notice any bending or other damage I might have done...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-08, 10:45 AM
G
I think you have accidentally bent one of the blades (easy to do). Have a helper hold the assembly on its side while you take a rule and measure the distance to the cage while checking one blade at a time. If you find a blade not aligned with the others, simply bend it back to be in line with the rest. Hopefully we are speaking of only one blade and that the pitch of the blade has not been changed. Takes very little to make one wobble and shake.

Old 08-09-08, 11:24 AM
R
Thanks I'll try to measure. I was wondering how to do that.

Old 08-09-08, 01:46 PM
R
I tried it and sure enough one of the blades must of got bent when I took it apart. One blade was around 5mm different than the rest. It runs a lot smoother now. Thanks for the help!