5 ton airhandler with 4 ton condenser, pros/cons

Old 08-12-08, 07:32 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5 ton airhandler with 4 ton condenser, pros/cons

what are the pro.s and con,s of having a larger air handler? In my situation I have a 5 ton air handler that I am installing in a house with a 4 ton condenser, This is pretty much cause I already own the units and I am buying a fixer upper home here in Miami, any help will be greatly appreciated. also will installing a TXV be of any help? Thank you all!

Old 08-14-08, 04:41 PM
Assuming they are from the same manufacturer, depends on what they say. Differnt piston or txv. Differences in final charge.

Old 08-14-08, 08:19 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Well, I don't know much about the matching size, but I can tell you this. I have had a 2.5 outside, 3.0 inside, work fine for many years. I remember my A/c tech told me, the inside unit should be a little larger then the outside unit (don't remember why).

Old 08-15-08, 04:58 AM
Larger airhandler will yeild greater efficiency. But Manufacturers reccomendations must be followed.

Which reminds me of something I saw yesterday and forgot to look up. Ran into a 5 ton Frigidaire with 4 ton indoor cool. Doesn't seem right to me, but what does Nordyne say about that?

Old 08-16-08, 05:13 PM
I
Talking CHECK OUT goodman..... same handler???

Originally Posted by Jarredsdad View Post
Larger airhandler will yeild greater efficiency. But Manufacturers reccomendations must be followed.

Which reminds me of something I saw yesterday and forgot to look up. Ran into a 5 ton Frigidaire with 4 ton indoor cool. Doesn't seem right to me, but what does Nordyne say about that?
Funny you should mention that, Here is what I saw on the alpine website they show the same goodman air handler for the 4 ton and the 5 ton and specify that it is shipped with the larger size orfice valve but that simply changing the orfice valve will make it suitable for the 4 ton condenser! Now my problem is that the air handler I am getting for next to nothing is a Trane, I dont know if the orfice valve is replaceable? I mean assuming it is I will try it, next question is are orfice valves the same physical size between brands?? any takers on this??????

Old 08-17-08, 07:32 AM
What is the model and serial of the Trane, I'll look it up.

As for the Frigidarie, Nordyne does not say yes.

Old 08-17-08, 06:00 PM
I
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jarredsdad View Post
What is the model and serial of the Trane, I'll look it up.

As for the Frigidarie, Nordyne does not say yes.
Thank you for the more than kind offer to look up the model number for me, unfortunately the unit got sold right after i posted so technically i am still searching I wil post as soon as i find a unit. For the time being I will like to know can a TXV be installed into a older 10 seer system? thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: