a/c fan not spinning..help

Old 08-19-08, 12:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a/c fan not spinning..help

ac fan was not spinning when i turned my unit on...it would just make a humming noise...so i googled it and it said it was the capacitar....so i bought a capacitar today and changed it and it worked for about 15 mins and shut off agian....any ideas??????????

Old 08-19-08, 12:50 PM
B
Anyone Here That Can Help With My Ac

Old 08-19-08, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Next step would probably be the fan motor. Bad motor can damage the cap. New one is prob still ok, if it only ran for 1 or 2 cycles.

Easy test of a cap is to visually inspect for leaking or bulging, then give the fan blade a spin with a stick to see if it starts spinning.

If it stops after a period of time with a new cap, that probably means the motor itself is bad.

You didn't waste any cash, everyone recommends replacing the cap at the same time as a new motor. Since your cap should be fine, replace the fan motor.

Check the motor for slop or drag when you spin in. Try side to side and up and down.

Not an A/C guy...but yer on the right track.

Old 08-20-08, 10:19 AM
K
It's probably the condenser fan motor. Try spinning the blade with the power disconnected. It should freely spin. If it offers any resistance, the bearings in the motor are bad. This causes the motor to heat up and the thermal trip to open up, shutting down the fan motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: