Air conditioner fan has trouble then stops working

Old 08-24-08, 07:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air conditioner fan has trouble then stops working

Hi, I have a Maytag m7y10f2a-f. It's about 2-3 years old (I believe.) It was running fine until one day, the fan just stopped working and so had the compressor? (the thing that makes the loud noise and makes cold air??) I'm guessing the compressor just automatically shut down when the fan isn't on, as it doesn't seem that it has much trouble otherwise. It was still making a low, buzzing noise.

So, even after turning it on multiple times through multiple days, I could see the fan (after removing the front air-director) had stopped spinning. It seemed there was a bit of resistance? So I opened up the entire air conditioner, cleaned everything relating to the fan, and greased it up with WD-40. I also opened the fan motor, (which was very difficult mind you, a lot of prying) and sprayed WD-40 in there as well. Screwed everything back together, turned it on, and it worked for one night... stopping in the middle of the night again. Basically, you turn it on, it makes a humming noise, you can spin the fan with your hand it spins for 3-5 seconds then stops. I took it out greased it up a second time, moved a washer (thought it was a problem with the fan sliding as the fan was hard to spin by hand) and it worked (with trouble... pitch and speed of fan going up and down constantly) then eventually quit in about 2 hours. Greased up the fan with more WD-40 and it ran for another hour or so.. What is the problem here? Is it a blown capicator? Where is the capacitor, and how do I replace it? Do I use a soldering gun?

Thank you, and sorry for the long post!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-08, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you need a new fan and a capacitor. All that greasing and spraying shouldn't be necessary. It's always recommended to replace the cap when you replace the motor.

Turn power off at breaker or disconnect, wait a few minutes, use a screwdriver shaft to short across the terminals of the cap. Make notes or take pics of whats connected where. Remove fan and cap and take them to an HVAC supply store for replacements.

Don't run it! The fan failing can cause damage to the compressor, and then yer talking service call and $$$$

Old 08-24-08, 11:14 AM
a new capacitor AND a fan? are you sure I need a new fan?

What is the 'cap?' Is it one of the two pieces that encapsulizes the electric fan motor? When I opened up the motor, there was basically bundles of copper wiring in a circle around the permiter of the 'cap?' Are these bundles the 'terminals' your talking about? If so how do I short across them with a screwdriver, a screwdriver would only touch about 2, when there's around 8-10... Or am I completely wrong about this 'cap'? Maybe the cap is where the digital buttons are? Please elaborate... Thanks!

P.S. I'm pretty sure it will be *VERY* difficult to remove the fan... I tried just getting to it before with no success, I will only try if its absolutely necessary. Maybe I could get away with just replacing a capacitor first?

P.P.S. I'll post pics of the 'cap' once I know what it is!

Old 08-24-08, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Crapola Lost my prior reply...
First, not an A/C pro, just pretty good with the basics.

Ok, I see now this is probably a window unit.

Don't know if the components are the same. The capacitor is normally a small round or oval "can", that the wires from the fan connect to. A window unit may have the cap as an integral part of the fan. Tried to find some sort of parts list or diagram, but thats when my system locked up and I lost the other post.

The reason I said you probably need a fan is, these units don't normally require much maintenance except for cleaning. Spraying "stuff" in the motor or changing the way it was originally assembled isn't recommended.

When most window units fail, it's either during the warranty period, or so far out of warranty, that they aren't worth fixing. Just like the mini-fridges and cheap microwave ovens.

Any error codes on the panel?

Old 08-24-08, 02:31 PM
Ahh, I hate losing replies, that is why I've gotten used to the habit of copying my reply each time before I click post...

Yeah, I'm familiar with what a capacitor looks like, just don't know where it is, nor where this 'cap' is. Yes, it is a window AC, but it is a bit different than regular ACs, the air is blown through the side, so the fan is set up differently than other ones i suppose. Here's a picture:

http://www.fixya.com/Brands/Images/M...0/20714255.JPG

So what I've gathered from your explanation the 'cap' is located at the end of the fan?

and no error codes on the display i don't believe.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Crapola Lost my prior reply...
First, not an A/C pro, just pretty good with the basics.

Ok, I see now this is probably a window unit.

Don't know if the components are the same. The capacitor is normally a small round or oval "can", that the wires from the fan connect to. A window unit may have the cap as an integral part of the fan. Tried to find some sort of parts list or diagram, but thats when my system locked up and I lost the other post.

The reason I said you probably need a fan is, these units don't normally require much maintenance except for cleaning. Spraying "stuff" in the motor or changing the way it was originally assembled isn't recommended.

When most window units fail, it's either during the warranty period, or so far out of warranty, that they aren't worth fixing. Just like the mini-fridges and cheap microwave ovens.

Any error codes on the panel?

Old 08-24-08, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said, not real familiar with window units, other than installing and maintaining. Might be able to help if I saw a parts diagram, but no luck finding one. It could be on the control board, or a part of the motor, dunno.

All the HVAC guys are more about whole house stuff. Besides they're all out having cocktail parties on their yachts with the plumbers and electricians...lol.

I'd wait and see if some of the small appliance guys have more info.

Old 08-24-08, 02:58 PM
CAP is short for CAPacitor.

How much is your time worth?

By the time you get a new motor and cap, disassemble the unit, remove old parts and install new, youu could have bought a new unit and been done with it.

If the fan is difficult to get off replace it since you will probably knock it out of balance fooling with it. This will only shorten the life of the new motor.

Best Buy?

Old 08-24-08, 04:18 PM
Is it necessary to replace the fan??

Also does anyone have an idea where the capacitor may be in this unit? (Maytag M7Y10F2A)

Old 08-24-08, 04:38 PM
Never know on a window shaker.

That model gets no results at Maytag.

Follow wire from the motor backward. You'll find either a silver metal capacitor or gray plastic capacitor.

Might be a dual. If the unit is 120 volts it may not even have one.