House A/C problerm, please help.

Old 08-24-08, 01:38 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House A/C problerm, please help.

Hello can somebody please help me with my
a/c problem. carrier model num 48ss048080311
my problem is just started yesterday, my a/c was doing fine but yesterday heat comes out
instead of cool air, so i turn the a/c off, for a couple of hours then turn it back on again this
morning cool air comes out for about 30minutes
then hot air comes out again, can somebody tell me whats wrong with my a/c please dont have that much money and warranty on the house is no good anymore. thanks in advance
for you guys....

Old 08-24-08, 02:05 PM
What is happening at the unit when warm air is coming out?

Is the gas heat on?

Could be a refrigeration problem, a STAT problem, or A Gas control board problem since the Fan signal goes through the gas control board.

What is the serial number? I like to look at the wiring diagram from close to but not over the manufacture date.

Old 08-24-08, 03:53 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Would you suppose in a case like this, that an A/C guy would simply throw in a spare stat with him, from his truck, rather than waste possibly more time trying to decipher this, unless of course it turns out not to be the stat - then move on from there?

Old 08-24-08, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
How bout some info about the outside unitwhen cooling is called for? Is the condenser fan running? How many times this summer have we seen a bad cap or fan motor?

Old 08-24-08, 04:33 PM
For the edification of all posters.

This unit is a gas-pack. Elec cooling, gas heat.

G for fan goes through a circuit board.

Y goes straight to the comp contactor.

Heck, click on the 48ss,sx-12si here

http://jarredsdad.embarqspace.com/#/welcome/4529420987

Wiring diagram.

Old 08-24-08, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
jarredsdad....is a gas-pack basically the same as a packaged unit, like they put on the roof out here in the south-western states?

I know a lot of the older places back in VA had a gas-pack. But I never really knew the diff if any.

Old 08-24-08, 05:56 PM
Yes, same thing. Packaged heat pump, gas-pack. Both are all in one. Horizontal or downflow configuration.

No real diff. Most units you see on commercial roof tops are packaged units. Be they gas heat elec cooling, heat pumps or even elec heat with elec cooling.

I think gas-pack may be a residential term I picked up along my journey in HVAC.

Almost like geo, plug and play.

Old 08-24-08, 10:58 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

Need some clarification on the problem rather than focusing on the type of equipment is the warm air warm or just not cool if we think the heat is coming on that is easily verified by walking by the packaged unit and noticing whether or not hot air is blowing out the exhaust if the heat and cooling are on at the same time (a not too infrequent problem with Carrier gas packs) you can easily temporarily remedy that problem by turning the gas valve off outside the unit. To determine if it is your controller disconnect the white wire at your thermostat, restart and if the problem persists reconnect that wire and remove the white wire at the terminal board inside the control box of the unit if the problem persists you will need a new control board these boards are very sensitive and removal and replacement must be done with care I would check incoming voltage if you have a meter and make sure it is not outside the recommended parameters the recommended voltages can be found on the information tag

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: