OK to oversize start capacitor?

Old 08-25-08, 08:11 AM
OK to oversize start capacitor?

The fan on the condenser unit won't start on its own, but if I give it a push it'll start and seems to work fine (from what I can tell, anyway). So I'm guessing it's a capacitor problem. The unit has a dual 35/3 MFD capacitor. The closest I've found in town is a 35/5 and the guy I talked to said that "it would probably work". Is he right, and would this be a safe solution until I can get the correct replacement part shipped?

Also, he seems to think that that's an unusal size. Is that true? If I opt to call a technician, is he likely to be able to fix it on the spot, or will we have to wait for parts anyway?

Finally, how bad is it to run the unit with a bad capacitor? My wife works from home.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 07:48 PM
Any opinions? We're getting hot here.

Old 08-26-08, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
It would be a bad idea to use a different capacitor than what it was designed for.
A larger rating will cause the amperage on the auxiliary winding to be higher than normal.

If your supplier has a 3/35 single rating capacitor it would only take one jumper with push on connectors to wire it up.

Old 08-26-08, 06:25 AM
Thanks, Greg! Yes, they do seem to have that, so I'll try that. You mean connecting the common terminals between the two capacitors, I assume?

Old 08-26-08, 07:39 AM
Air Conditioning Repair

The 35/3 is not unusual for ICP and if you go to the local dist. for heil, tempstar or ICP commercial they will have one and you won't have to order you could put the 35/5 on temporarily and get you buy but don't leave it long or you will be replacing a fan motor which will probably happen in the next year anyway.

Old 08-26-08, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
Yes, if you are able to get a 3 mfd cap you would connect one of the center taps from the 35/3 to one connector on the three and the fan wire would go to the other connector on the 3.

Old 08-26-08, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys, I got it working. Ended up having to use a 35/5 and 3, and just use the 35 part of the dual.

I still want to get a 35/3 so I can put things back together properly, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one. Does anyone know a good online resource, or a local brick & mortar I should be looking for?

americanhvacparts.com and famousparts.com have horrible reviews and expertappliance.com's prices are ridiculous. $155 for a capacitor! I paid $14 for the 35/5 at Grainger.

The part I'm looking to replace is Rheem 43-22362-04
370V 35/3 MFD, approx size of original: 2 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 4

Old 08-27-08, 02:52 PM
Look for A/C supply houses in your area. Aierco, R.E. Michel, Johnstone Supply, etc., Use the yellow pages.

BUt, as long as you have the correct caps hooked up for the comp and fan you can leave it as such. Only problem would be a home inspector if you sold the place.