High Pitch Noise coming from Air inlet in hallway please advice..

Old 08-26-08, 10:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
High Pitch Noise coming from Air inlet in hallway please advice..

Hello Friends,

I'm new here, and I thank you all in advance for any advice you can give. Right now times are hard everywhere, and learning to do fix things is a must to make ends meet. Well, last night here in LA the heat got to us and we decided to turn on our AC. We haven't turned it on in months so once we turned it on, everything worked fine.
Except, there was a noise we never heard of before emanating from the Large Air intake in the hallway.
I immediately went to check the motor outside of the house to see if it was making that noise too, but it wasn't.

THe noise only came from the air intake inside the house. It's hard to explain it, but its like a high pitch noise sort of like when something needs oil.

I went ahead and removed grill and removed the filter and I could feel all the air being pulled into the huge duct. I still heard the noise, but can't figure out where it may be coming from. Could it be that dust might be clogging something?
Should I go into the attic and check for something?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I turned off the AC and I thought, maybe if I turn it back on the noise will go away. Well, the unit didn't turn back on at all.

So I decided to let it rest for maybe 10 minutes and then I turned it back on and it worked. The noise was still there, but this time I didn't turn it off and left it on all night long till it reached the right temp. This morning the AC was automatically off I guess since I placed it on AUTO.

Any recommendations or ideas will be greatly appreciated my friends.

God bless.

Old 08-26-08, 05:00 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can only hear it in the cold air return but not if you stand right next to the air handler blower door?

That would be most strange.

If I had such a thing, well then I'd be opening up that grill and see if something is right there, or down in there somewhere, like a piece of plastic got drawn in and is oddly stuck in the wall cavity/ duct, hung up on a screw or nail and is whistling in the mannor of how you can cause that screech with a wide blade of grass between your two thumbs and blow. Some effect like that, anyway.

Old 08-26-08, 05:28 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Should be your inside air handler blower fan. You siad you checked the outside unit. go check the inside unit and see you can hear anything..

Old 08-27-08, 06:48 AM
E
Originally Posted by Musikman4Christ
I went ahead and removed grill and removed the filter and I could feel all the air being pulled into the huge duct. I still heard the noise, but can't figure out where it may be coming from.

clocert is right. When I initially read this part of your long quote, in a flash, I thought you HAD already checked the blower compartment, when I read the word "filter", and removing a grill which I mistakenly had my mind set on blower door. That coupled with the fact it is too obvious that if the sound is in air return it is eminating from the blower. But now it sounds like your filter is in the return. Yes. Absolutely. You have to check the vblower compartment in your handler.

Old 08-27-08, 02:39 PM
On the right track.

Kill power to everything and open the indoor unit. Inspect the indoor fan.

Anything such as plastic in there? Spin the fan, is it rubbing on the housing? What do the motor mounts look like?

Old 08-28-08, 02:32 PM
M
Thank you friends for your responses. So far the AC has been working thank God. The noise went away and we left it alone. Last night it came back only after we turned on the switch for the AC. But the noise was considerably less and got lower and lower. THen it dissapeared. I am definitely going to go in the attic and chech the box like you guys suggested.

I have the old type of insulation up there, not new, this is a 1959 house and maybe some of it might have gotten in there. I thought these things are sealed, but I really don't know much about AC.

THank you my friends. Wish you many blessings.

Old 08-28-08, 05:01 PM
E
It should be sealed. SHOULD be, are the key words.

Hopefully you do not have bats where you are, as a bat could have got in there. Bats can get in openings of 3/8 inch or larger. I deal with this all the time where I am. I have had to make hardware cloth pre-sceen where then I find dead bat pinned against the screen. Otherwise, without hardware cloth, they eat through fiberglass filters in their desperation to escape. When they die up against the filter or get in blower compartment, they dry out and become lighter and crunchy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: