Need help choosing Trane vs. Carrier... Any significant difference?

Old 08-26-08, 06:49 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need help choosing Trane vs. Carrier... Any significant difference?

Trying to compare Trane & Carrier units to replace existing system. I'm trying to figure out if there is any significant differences to choose one over the other or to just go with cheaper price.

Also, heard repair costs for variable speed systems are expensive. Should I avoid or with these systems is it less of an issue?

Trane XL15i (model 4TTX5048A) 15 Seer 4 ton condenser including new line set & coil $7,795; with Trane furnace XV90 120 (model TUX2D120AFV5VA) $4,574. Install included.
Warranty: 5 Years Parts, 5 Years Labor, 20 Years Heat Exchange, 10 Years Compressor.

Carrier Performance (model 24APA548A003) 15 Seer 4 ton condenser including new line set & coil $5,650; with Carrier Infinity ICS Modulating Gas Furnace (model 58MVC-1-F-20) $3,990. Install included.
Warranty: 10 Years Parts, 10 Years Labor, 10 Years Compressor (not including labor), Coil 10 Years.

Do the costs look in line with what they're supposed to be?

Thanks.

Last edited by nam10; 08-26-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 08:17 PM
Has any of the dealer done a Manual-J (load calc) on your home?

Tell me about your home, and where you are out of.

Both brands are good, go with a dealer who you felt good about, and know are going to do the job right, and stand by their work after the job is done.

last question, what are you getting for thermostat?

Old 08-26-08, 08:57 PM
N
They both told me they did a calculation and came up with the 4 ton & 120,000 btu requirement. House has 2 floors with attic. I'm in NY metro area.

I felt good about both dealers - one gave me carrier the other trane. I'm trying to figure why trane is higher.

Have existing honeywell thermostat.

Old 08-27-08, 06:44 AM
How many Sq ft is the home? Age?

4 ton of A/C and 120k of heating is alot, and I take it the home must be very large?

Is your current Honeywell T-stat a two stage stat? If not, you are crippling the nice two stage furnaces and you are not going to get the best comfort it will give out for what you are paying for.

Carrier is a matching stat for their furnace to give you the best comfort.

and if you go with trane, I'd suggest the Honeywell IAQ stat.

XV90 is not made, unless the dealer has some left over? The new model is XV95.

I have a 4 years old Trane XV90 with a Honeywell IAQ, and it has given me the best comfort that I've ever had in a home heating and cooling.

Old 08-27-08, 02:46 PM
Agree with Jay all the way.

Get your third quote from an American Standard dealer. AmStd makes Trane and costs less.

If a load was done why didn't you see it? Did you see them measuring all the rooms? Inspecting windows?

Old 08-28-08, 06:44 PM
N
I have gotten quotes from 4 different contractors, all who have a good reputation. Two are Carrier and two are trane dealers. I am focusing on the 2 that had the better pricing.

I saw them measuring outside / inside for the load calc. I did not see a copy of though. I did not ask for it but they came up with same requirements i.e. 4 tons / 120,000 btu's.

Should I ask for a copy?

Also, any thoughts on a whole house air cleaner? We're looking at the Trane Clean effects or a Honeywell F150 media. I've heard the electronic needs to be cleaned every 2 weeks or so vs. the media twice a year.

Would a trane clean effects work with a carrier system?

Thanks again.

Old 08-28-08, 06:49 PM
N
House built in the 30's, about 2,500 sq. ft. from what I remember.

Honeywell stat is the 8000 model. Can I use Honeywell for Carrier? The Honeywell is very easy to program and looks better than the Carrier stat.

I took a look at Trane's website and they are still listing the XV90 - are they discontinuing it or is the XV95 the more advanced model?

Old 08-28-08, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by nam10
House built in the 30's, about 2,500 sq. ft. from what I remember.
I take it you don't have much insulation in the walls and attic?

Windows are the orginal single pane?

If you do have the above, are you planning on updating the windows and insulation?

Honeywell stat is the 8000 model. Can I use Honeywell for Carrier? The Honeywell is very easy to program and looks better than the Carrier stat.
The VisionPro (8000) can be used. but you won't get the humidity control in A/C if you want it. The Honeywell IAQ 9000 is better.

I took a look at Trane's website and they are still listing the XV90 - are they discontinuing it or is the XV95 the more advanced model?
The XV90i has the built in Clean Effect air cleaner, The XV95 does not have the built in CleanEffect, The XV95 is rated at 95.5% effecent. where the XV90i is 92.5%.

We're looking at the Trane Clean effects or a Honeywell F150 media. I've heard the electronic needs to be cleaned every 2 weeks or so vs. the media twice a year.
The CleanEffect does not need to be cleaned every 2 weeks, just clean the pre-filter every 2 months, and main collector every 6 months.

The standard type of Electronic air cleaner has to be cleaned every 4 weeks.

Would a trane clean effects work with a carrier system?
Yes, it can.... be kinda akward to have a Carrier dealer put in your furnace, then get a Trane dealer in to put the CleanEffect in.. Unless the dealer you go with handles both brand.

Old 08-28-08, 10:32 PM
Regarding the filter I highly recommend a media filter in lieu of the electronic systems. Granted my system is older, but I ended up removing the guts from my electronic system to use a pleated filter instead. In my opinion, filtering is better especially for particulate matter and there will not be any ozone production, which can be quite harmful.

Old 08-29-08, 02:43 PM
N
Not much insulation but interior walls are plaster - not sure if that helps. Windows are the original which we may change in the near future. House is mostly in direct sunlight.

Old 08-29-08, 03:35 PM
I would then advise to the dealer that you are going to be updating the windows.. I'd hate to see an oversized system after the new windows are put in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: