Help Condenser making buzzing/Hissing noise

Old 08-31-08, 03:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Condenser making buzzing/Hissing noise

A couple weeks ago I had my unit serviced due to poor performance. The technician said the unit was low on freon. He filled the unit and it worked okay for about a week. Then it began to make a buzzing/hissing noise on and off regularly, it would also begin to blow warm air out the ducts. I called the technician and it sounds like the compressor valves and leaking and I would have to replace the unit, it wouldn't be worth repairing. He said a quick fix would be to let some pressure out of the large line until the noise stopped. I did so and it began to blow cold air again. However every day I have to repeat the process and now I fear all of the freon is gone. Any thought on if inded the unit needs to be replaced of is it something repairable?

Old 08-31-08, 04:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Regardless of what is wrong with your unit or what kind of work/replacement should be done, I don't know what kind of technician would seriously tell you to unlawfuly and knowingly vent refrigerant gas into the atmosphere. Stop now, do not use your unit until it is fixed.
Either R-22, or R-410a, no venting.

The Prohibition on Venting
Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances).
It remains illegal to knowingly vent HFC substitutes during the maintenance, service, repair, or disposal of appliances.
Source - http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/608/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: