loud bang at compressor

Old 09-01-08, 03:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile loud bang at compressor

I turned on my ac unit and a loud bang noise came from the compressor. Checked it out and the wires going to the compressor were fried. It also blew a hole in the compressor. My contactor had been sticking for a couple of weeks. Just turned it off at the breaker. Any ideas on what the deal was.Thanks

Old 09-01-08, 04:46 PM
M
Air Conditioning help

sorry to tell you but your terminal block just blew out of your compressor this is a massive electrical burnout and if this unit is out of warranty most companies would tell you to get a new unit

Old 09-01-08, 05:18 PM
D
Was this due to the contactor? If I replace the unit I wont have a similar problem?

Old 09-02-08, 05:11 AM
M
Wow! DB955! sure would like to see a photo of that mess! Does anyone know just why this terminal block let go? Aren't these welded in? Did it have anything to do with his stuck contactor which may have run the compressor for extended intervals?

Old 10-25-08, 05:13 AM
A
I work in a 252 unit apartment complex and this happens on average 3-5 times a season. I know for sure one unit was running properly the day before, with nothing sticking. How ever the unit had been installed 2 years previously by my former supervisor, with no filter-dryer and no system vacuum. (Scary part is alot of them were installed like that.) we have some units (38 year old Carriers) none of them have had this happen. They just lock up when they have had enough. None of the new ones that we have installed correctly have had this problem. I forsee a lot of work around here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: