Replacement system

Old 09-03-08, 05:10 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement system

My house's central air is 36 years old and while working well is quite inefficient. I have an opportunity to buy a 1 year old Carrier of the correct size with a new line set and A-coil for a very good price. The original owner took out the system to replace it with a heat pump because he has oil heat which is quite expensive. I installed the original system myself with soldered joints, charged it and it has been running ever since.
I want to install this new unit myself also and have questions about installing the line set. Since the unit uses 410A refrigerant, it is a higher pressure system than the R22 that is there now.

I will have to either braze or silver solder the connections and am wondering whether the silver soldering will be adequate? I have the equipment to purge the system with nitrogen to prevent internal oxidation of the copper lines. A second question is about the system oil, how do I know if there is enough in the system? The previous owner told me that the compressor was precharged by the installer of the heat pump and this should be easy to ascertain by checking the pressure.
Any help and suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Old 09-05-08, 01:19 PM
K
I don't think it's legal for you to disconnect the R12 system unless you have an EPA cert.

Old 09-05-08, 01:36 PM
True,

36 Years ago there was no EPA Cert. now it is law that you need to be certified.

All I can say is that you will need a new line set. And the the joints have to be brazed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: