AC Not Getting Upstairs

Old 09-03-08, 06:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Not Getting Upstairs

I have a condo with a basement and a second floor. When I run the central air, which is in the basement, the first floor stays cool, but the second floor does not. Do I need a bigger furnace or can I put a bigger blower in? No problem in the winter with the heat.

Old 09-03-08, 06:15 PM
M
Air Conditioning Help

You are experiencing a very common problem, the laws of physics are against you because you are trying to control the temperature in 2 environments with different heat loads with one controller. You can do a couple of things to help the situation however. Put the fan switch in the on position so that air will circulate even when the air conditioner satisfies the main level. Now you must be careful when you do this but you can close off some of the airflow to the main level during the cooling season this will cause longer run times and putting more cool air upstairs then in heating season reverse that, just be careful not to close off too much air as a certain amount of air needs to flow through your system to prevent damage

Old 09-03-08, 07:07 PM
T
I've already closed off some of the vents in the basement, as that stays cool anyway without the AC. It does not matter how long I run the system however, it does not get cool upstairs. I feel a little flow up there, but it does not get cool.

Old 09-04-08, 03:27 AM
N
Check your ductwork (if you can get to it), and look for a damper or two. This could even be right above the furnace, if you're lucky. Sometimes they install these to make it easier to balance the system between floors. If you find some, turn the fan on and open or close them to see which vents they control. Maybe you'll be able to get some airflow back to the upper level of your home.

Old 09-04-08, 04:38 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Very common, cheap builders use cheap subs. Two floor home with a basement need two units. One for main floor and basement and one for 2nd floor.

Old 09-04-08, 01:19 PM
T
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
Very common, cheap builders use cheap subs. Two floor home with a basement need two units. One for main floor and basement and one for 2nd floor.
Are you talking two furnace units?

Old 09-04-08, 07:30 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes two systems! It's the only way to be 100% right

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: