Week 2-no air

Old 09-05-08, 01:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Week 2-no air

I hope I can get some answers today. It's been over 7 days, 3 trips from the a/c guy. My indoor air fan keeps turning off after running fine for a while. The outdoor compressor stays on but the indoor blower stops. The acoils are clean, I changed the air filter, (every 30 days) a/c guy put in 1 1/2 lbs of freon, and a new run cap on the blower. He says he can't find anything wrong with the blower. It works fine for a while, then the blower turns off and outdoor comp keeps running. It usually happens at night. The thicker brass tube would get ice on it, when it shuts off. I turn off the unit when this happens. Our nighttime temps are in the 80's. What else could I have him look at. He is getting irritated with me for calling him about it because he says there is nothing else he can do, "unless I can see it for myself." I told him where the ice was forming. I don't know what else he "needs to see for himself" to figure this out! HELP

Old 09-05-08, 03:16 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
This reads to me as if the motor on the indoor unit is stopping as a result of high internal motor heat, or in other words the motor's internal thermal overload switch is activating and shutting down the motor. With the fan motor stopping there is no more air flow over the cooling coil and it will quickly freeze over with the outside unit still operating. This is why you see ice on the larger tube.

The motor may be overheating because of the wrong capacitor, lack of lubrication on the bearings, a dirty filter on the main return duct or maybe the motor is dying from old age. Check the filter(s), the blower wheel and the cooling slots of the motor for dirt and lint. If all are clean it is probably the motor itself.

Old 09-05-08, 03:46 PM
If it is the motor, would the entire unit need replacement? Or can It just get a new blower motor? I don't know if I am using the proper lingo, but the problem seems to be from the indoor blower unit. I could be wrong. I make sure my filters are always clean. I asked the a/c guy if there was anything else it could possibly be, he never mentioned what you just did.

Old 09-05-08, 04:48 PM
G
Agree with Furd, especially about the capacitor size. If you can post the Mod and serial # of your air handler (part where the motor is installed) there are people on this forum that can tell you what size the cap should be and you could check that size against the one the guy installed.
If you are not savvy with electrical equipment, I would ask someone who is to check it for you, otherwise you could get a terrific shock.

Old 09-05-08, 06:20 PM
M
If you can access the blower motor, see if it is very hot when it stops. If so, the motor is most likely bad causing it to overheat and shut down. Lubricating the bearings works for, ummm, about 1.5 days - then you need to replace the motor.

Old 09-05-08, 06:41 PM
Agree with all.

Mod and serials could help.

Did the tech take amp readings on the motor? That would indicate if it's worn.

Not trying to insult, but changine the indoor unit because of the blower would be like buying a new car because it needed a tune up.

Old 09-05-08, 08:18 PM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure how old your system is. Do you have a control board control the fan? If you do, did the AC tech check the control board while the fan stopped? If not the control board problem, then it should be the blower. Like all other posts said, is it too hot ? does power get to it at that time ? check continuity of the blower ? Connect the power to the fan manually to see if you can keep it running ?? there are many things you (or AC tech) can try. don't give up. New blower is not that expensive anyway if you have to buy a new one. good luck to you.

Old 09-05-08, 08:39 PM
Jarredsdad, ur funny!

Ok, here ya go:

Model: NFCP 3600B1
Serial: L983769835
Style: FCP3600A
Volt : 208/230
Motor: FLA 31 HP 1/3
There is a lot more stuff on there but I didn't know if you need more or not. Leme know! I love you guys!

Old 09-05-08, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah, he did take a reading and it was between the volts described. I was peeking over his shoulder and I think it read 216 or close. The system is 10 yrs old. It runs a lot because it so dang hot out here! I haven't had any probs till now. A/C guy says if I mess with anything on it myself, I could void the homeowners warranty. (just bought a home warranty, how coinsidental is that!) The system is made by International Comfort Products Corp. Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-08, 09:13 PM
I can't read this so well, but on my receipt it says
"did install new 10mfd ? run cap to indoor fan motor checked fan amps, pressures, found no failures at this time" I couldn't read if the 10mfd was what I was seeing, hard to read.

Old 09-05-08, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Cali61
I hope I can get some answers today. It's been over 7 days, 3 trips from the a/c guy. My indoor air fan keeps turning off after running fine for a while. The outdoor compressor stays on but the indoor blower stops. The acoils are clean, I changed the air filter, (every 30 days) a/c guy put in 1 1/2 lbs of freon, and a new run cap on the blower. He says he can't find anything wrong with the blower. It works fine for a while, then the blower turns off and outdoor comp keeps running. It usually happens at night. The thicker brass tube would get ice on it, when it shuts off. I turn off the unit when this happens. Our nighttime temps are in the 80's. What else could I have him look at. He is getting irritated with me for calling him about it because he says there is nothing else he can do, "unless I can see it for myself." I told him where the ice was forming. I don't know what else he "needs to see for himself" to figure this out! HELP

When the indoor motor cycles off...does it cycle off when the setpoint of the thermostat is being met? (*Example - setpoint of t-stat is 74 - temp of the cooled space is also 74)

If so...the indoor fan is not faulty...it would be a likely sticky contactor in the condenser, which if the condenser continues to operate during the offcycle will certainly freeze the evaporator causing loss of cooling due to low airflow as time passes.

* It would look as though the indoor fan turns off, but in truth, the condenser should have cycled off too!

* It may be laughable, but by you turning the unit off...you may be preventing the tech from understanding what is really going on.

Old 09-06-08, 12:05 AM
Hey, Real Deal,

When I set it to say 74, it will cycle, usually till it gets to that temp. But I have awaken in the middle of the night and can see that my set temp is ok, but the outside condenser is still on, but my blower has stopped working. I go into the garage to see frost on the fat copper tube. I just turn off the unit and leave it. I assume that it has frozen up. But my temp is what I called for. You think it could be the outdoor unit instead?

Old 09-06-08, 12:28 AM
The tech did say, over and over, that there was "nothing wrong with my blower!" Amps checked out, coil and filter clean, skinny line warm, fat line cold, plenty of freon, new run cap in blower, so I think you got something there. I turned on the unit before he came, hoping it would freeze up so he could see it. Me thinks we've been looking up the wrong hole?

Old 09-06-08, 07:30 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Now the picture seems pretty clear. I have to agree with 'The Real deal', you may have a sticky contactor outside. or for some reason, the T-stat command did not get to the contactor that control the condenser.

Old 09-06-08, 09:34 AM
F
I also agree with The Real Deal that a sticking contactor could be your trouble.

Old 09-06-08, 11:49 AM
Deal could be right.

Simple test would be to turn off the stat and check the outdoor unit to see if it is off.

Old 09-06-08, 10:19 PM
You guys are great! I think that this makes the most sense! I will ask my a/c tech to check the contactor when he comes out next Tuesday. I will let ya'll know how it goes! Thank you SO much for all of your timely, and humorous, advice. I am really glad I found this site!

Old 09-07-08, 01:51 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

You can check the contactor yourself today turn the cooling off on your stat, is the outdoor unit still running? if it is then shut off the power to your indoor unit, is it still running? if it is shut off the power to the outdoor unit open the control box is contactor pulled in it will be easily recognizable usually the main component in your outdoor unit with the incoming line voltage wires attached to the bottom of it if it is pulled in still tap it with a screwdriver and it will probably release if so there is your problem and if this guy charges you again for replacing it make sure to remember not to call him again

Old 09-09-08, 10:03 PM
Well, I finally have some cold air!!! Clocert and RealDeal were right on the money! This was the 3rd tech in two weeks. It was the blowers control board AND the contactor in the condenser!!! He came out Monday evening and put in the new control board and it ended up being a bad board. So I had to wait till today for him to bring back a new one. I did tell him that you guys thought it may be the contactor, but he said 'no, no, it's just your control board.' He was so frustrated that the first control board didn't work, he took no chances and found that, indeed, the contactor was sticking! Woohoo! Thanks a million! All you guys are my new best friends!

Old 09-10-08, 02:14 PM
F
Thank you for the update, glad you now have cooling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: