Air Handler Drip Pan

Old 09-10-08, 08:42 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Air Handler Drip Pan

I'm in the state of Georgia. Is it mandatory to have a drip pan under the air handler if the air handler sits on a concrete floor in the basement and is a kill switch also mandatory if the unit already has a condensate pump with a kill switch? I would like to provide added protection to the flooring in the basement but the installer tells me it is not necessay and not required to pass inspection by the county (Rockdale) inspector. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Old 09-10-08, 10:31 AM
I do not believe that it is necessary. I believe drip pans like you are speaking of are commonly used in units installed in attics. I have a basement unit like yours with no extra emergency drip pan, however I'm sure someone with more precise knowledge of your code can chum in.

Old 09-10-08, 08:00 PM
M
Watering your basement

It may not be required in your area although most municipalities now require an auxiliary pan with either a second independent drain, (attic) or a float switch per the 2006 code book, but for a $40 pan and a $20 switch you spend alot less than you would on tile or linoleum

Old 09-11-08, 03:51 AM
I agree with Mike. If you have a finished basement a pan and switch is cheap insurance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: