Moving A/C unit to back of yard (40ft)

Old 09-14-08, 10:34 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving A/C unit to back of yard (40ft)

Hello everyone. I did a search for this subject and didn't come up with anything so I thought I would do a new post. I am planning on moving my a/c units soon. I have two, and they are right under my kitchen window. I would like to move them to the back of the yard, about 40 feet away.

I know that I will lose some efficiency by having longer lines, but I'm curious just how much difference it will make.

I live in Phoenix, AZ.

The air handlers are in the attic and I have a two story house, so there is probably already 30-40 feet of lines in the house.

Would you happen to know the amount that this should cost? I will plan to do the ditch digging and grading myself.

I will also have the extra electrical lines run myself.

If there are somem people on here in Phoenx, recommendations would be appreciated as well.

THank you for your help,

Steve

Old 09-14-08, 10:43 AM
S
I should add that I would like to get this completed in approximately 2 months, or less, depending on temperature.

Old 09-14-08, 10:58 AM
I don't believe I've evre seen a residential unit put so far away like that. I believe it would be better to keep it closer, exactly at what length the compressor can no longer move the oil and refrigerant efficiently is unknown to me. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Regardless, just in case you are not aware, any moving that requires disconnection of lines also requires a qualified technician.

Old 09-14-08, 11:02 AM
S
Coddy,

Thanks for the info. I agree, I haven't seen any that far away. I'm guessing this won't be possible, but it makes the most sense for my yard layout.

Steve

Old 09-14-08, 11:11 AM
S
you could get a HVAC company in to recover the freon in both systems(shut the isolating valves at the condenser on the suction and liquid lines)as to leave the condenser positive to protect the compressor during the move.do the exsisting lines go right into the foundation then up,or up into the attic from the outside?if the lines are running up the outside into the attic you should be able to go 360 degrees around the perimeter of the house and drop down (minimal adding of pipe) to the new condenser location.if you can catch a shaddy spot for the new condenser location the units will run cooler in the dead heat of the day and cost you less to run.more piping means a larger freon charging back into the unit,but the presuures will remain the same and the efficientcy shouldn't change that much

Old 09-14-08, 11:22 AM
S
I'm not sure what you mean by 360 deg around the house.

The lines go up the wall, they are not in the foundation. They can be seen entering the house in the back corner of the house, right at ground level.

I would basically be moving the units straight back about 40 ft.

Another question that I have is how far apart do the units need to be spaced? Is this as simple as calculating the area on the sides of the unit and making sure there is at least that much area between the unit and the wall?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-14-08, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Codyy pretty much summed it up...........Oil return would be a potential problem.

It is a conflict in that you would need to size the suction line small enough to ensure good velocity for oil return but being small would lower the pressures at the compressor causing it to overheat and loose capacity.
Also, the added liquid refrigerant needed to make up for the long liquid line may cause the unit to be overcharged.

The manufacturer recommends a maximum distance for good reason.

Old 09-14-08, 11:48 AM
S
that lower corner is where they will make the reconnection after you relocate them,and how far away are the condensers from where the piping comes out of that corner...just curious because if it is long you might just cut them there and swing the condensers and line sets to your new location plus some new pipe.that 360 comment was if the piping was external to the house then into the attic..if you were standing in the attic 360 around with the air handlers as center the exsisting piping you have the "run out" would catch any new location the condensers where if close to the house as before move.the area around 2 condensers keeping the service area in mind if you walk around them without going sideways your good to go add 12" to the service side if the house is opposite that side...hvac guys are FAT Beer 4U2 might think of doing a 1 new pad for 2 condensers install with the new location

Old 09-14-08, 10:50 PM
S
Thanks guys.

Anyone have any recommendations for HVAC guys in the Phoenix area, East Valley?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: