outdoor A/C not working

Old 09-15-08, 01:12 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outdoor A/C not working

I am having trouble with my outdoor A/C, the blower fan wasn't working I replaced the motor and the cap. and it came on for like 2 seconds and would not come on again, could it be the relay or something else. If it is the relay how do I know what to replace it with I don't see anything written on it, and I really don't want to start taking all the wires off of it.
here is a picture of the relay

Old 09-15-08, 07:15 PM
M
Air Conditioning Repair

I need you to back up and describe the original problem it is possible that you have another problem, but not likely. Please describe what the fan motor was doing originally, I am thinking maybe the new fan is miswired but need more info.

Old 09-16-08, 05:16 AM
C
The original fan didn't come on at all it made a humming noise, so I replaced it with another fan, which I could possibly have it wired wrong because original fan had only 3 wires and the new one have 5 wires plus a ground wire, the shop I bought it from assured me that the fan would work.

Old 09-16-08, 07:18 AM
M
AC Repair Condensor Fan Motor

I am on the run right now so I don't have time to pull you up a diagram but just remember that the motor needs only 2 legs or sources of line voltage so if the original capacitor hook up had a common going to one of the legs that may be your problem the motor you purchased should have a diagram in it so just refer back to that and also note that if it is a universal fan motor it would have 2 diagrams giving you a 3 wire and a 4 wire hook up. good luck.

Old 09-16-08, 07:33 AM
Usually if there's 2 brown wires from the motor, they are for the capacitor. Black being L1, the other wires would connect to L2 or neutral for different speeds. You would probably go with the high speed, red lead.

Old 09-16-08, 11:54 AM
M
AC Repair Condensor Fan Motor

That would be for the 4 wire hookup but with 3 wires you drop one cap (brown) wire

Old 09-19-08, 07:22 PM
J
Originally Posted by crcd95
I am having trouble with my outdoor A/C, the blower fan wasn't working I replaced the motor and the cap. and it came on for like 2 seconds and would not come on again, could it be the relay or something else. If it is the relay how do I know what to replace it with I don't see anything written on it, and I really don't want to start taking all the wires off of it.
here is a picture of the relay

Did you use a multi meter to check the line voltage and resistence in the fan motor windings? Did you test the line 1 and 2 where the power goes thru the contactor (relay)?

Old 09-20-08, 04:48 PM
C
Originally Posted by jethro1
Did you use a multi meter to check the line voltage and resistence in the fan motor windings? Did you test the line 1 and 2 where the power goes thru the contactor (relay)?
I am new to this I don't know which one is line 1 or 2 on the relay can you help me identify which is which?

Old 09-21-08, 12:04 PM
C
I connected the black wire to the line 1, the yellow wire to the cap, the two brown wires to the cap, and thay have a yellow wire coming from the relay I connected that one to the cap, and they also have a blue wire coming from the comp that I connected to the cap thats what the diagram says and still nothing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: