Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

8 yo compressor went out; replacing ext. unit, HVAC tech suggested Weatherking:

Old 09-16-08, 10:40 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our eight year old Lennox compressor died. We decided to replace the ext. unit instead of replacing just the compressor being thatit is getting up there. We have a quote for a 4 ton weather king installed for $2200.00. Is Weather king a good brand? Is this a good price for a four ton unit? Is this going to be a reliable unit? SHould we pay a little extra and go with the regular Rheem model? I must have it COLD in my house, I want it to be as cold as before. Which is probably why my poor Lennox bit the dust a bit early. I use my air from about early May until Late October in Ohio and keep it at about 68 or 69. Also. Is it ok for the outdoor unit to be a different brand from the indoor unit?
Thanks!
Summie

Last edited by Summiebee; 09-16-08 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Summiebee
Our eight year old Lennox compressor died. -----quote for a 4 ton weather king ------SHould we pay a little extra and go with the regular Rheem model?
Well, if I had an 8 year old Cadillac and blew the engine I don't think I would think about replacing it with a Yugo or a Pinto. I would fix the Cadillac.

The temp you set matters not. Set it to a temp and leave it.

Old 09-16-08, 05:33 PM
M
Dave is dead

If your compressor is dead and the condensing unit is out of warranty the smart math says let it die, that having been said now you have to consider replacing an outdoor unit and how does that affect total system performance.
If the contractor who is proposing to replace your outdoor unit does not address the fact that you have a 10 seer air handler then you need to find another contractor.
There are ways to replace the outdoor unit with some modifications but you need to ask for all your options.
Let us know what they tell you.

Old 09-16-08, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad
Well, if I had an 8 year old Cadillac and blew the engine I don't think I would think about replacing it with a Yugo or a Pinto. I would fix the Cadillac.

The temp you set matters not. Set it to a temp and leave it.
I agree with Jarredsdad I did not no weather king was still around.

Old 09-16-08, 07:53 PM
well......

the first thing I would want to know (especially deciding to drop $2k) is what made the old compressor go out? I've seen techs condemn compressors, only to later find out that they were down a leg in the high voltage, or that the start winding terminal burned off, or a restricted evaporator, but with that said, if the decision was to replace the A/C, please make sure the Evaporator and lineset also get replaced, and they are the correct size you don't want to compromise that new compressor. My Bryant unit is 8 years strong, suffered many power outages, hail storms, and a landscape timber right in the side of it. and I have yet to replace a part on it. I have no opinion on the brand name you're inquiring about, but like the opinion of jarredsdad, don't junk the Caddy in place of a yugo.
and yes, Rheem is a very decent model....I would feel better if you purchased that one.

Old 09-16-08, 08:08 PM
So I'll say more.

I work in commercial. We have Lennox (tanks) that will not die. Changed a few parts (comps, fans) and still keep running after 35 years.

Have Trane chillers after 45 years still trucking.

Your cash. When you sell the home a home inspector will raise a flag for mix matched units.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: