York AC Unit Won't Turn Off

Old 09-16-08, 12:53 PM
York AC Unit Won't Turn Off

I have a York AC Unit (Model H2RD060S06B Serial W0H6765917) located outside of my home. For the past two days the AC Unit won't turn off. I checked the thermostats in the house to be certain that the fan settings were set to Auto and not to On, which they were. I'm not a handyman, so not knowing what else to do, I turned off the power at the unit and at the breaker box. I waited several minutes and turned the power back on, hoping that the unit had reset itself. No such luck. Short of calling a repairman, does anyone have ideas?

Any insight into my little problem will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-08, 02:33 PM
that is the fan on the condenser your seeing running,if the house isn't freezing or you don't see ice on the black insulated line outside,or at the air handler its running normal to your settings on the stat.the FAN on/auto is for your indooor fan on that stat.set in ON,the fan will run 24/7 no matter if it is cooling or heating or just air circulating.AUTO the fan cycles with the CALL for cooling and shuts off when the house drops to setpoint.in the heating mode(if you have a furnace on the system) and the fan in auto the air handler controls the fan/on after the heat exchanger heats up to deliver hot air.

Old 09-17-08, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the reply sminker. The fan continues to run, despite all of the AC's house fan settings placed to Auto and the unit's thermostats in the house turned to Off. In the past, these actions always resulted in the York AC unit to turn off. Also, this morning I went outside to see if the AC had icing on the black insulated line as you had indicated. What I discovered was that there was icing on the pipe leading from the uninsulated portion of the line, all the way and including, the pipes and tank that holds the refrigerant/freon.

Any other ideas?

And thanks again.

Old 09-17-08, 03:47 PM
Is the fan in the house running as well or just the fan on the outdoor unit? If its just the fan on the outdoor unit running it sounds like the contactor is stuck and causing it to run if its a standard condenser. Depending on how mechanical you are the best thing may be to call a service tech, its better to be safe then sorry. there is 240volts running to out door unit, if you not sure what your doing i would go that route

Old 09-17-08, 03:54 PM
OK..........the reason it is icing up is you still have fan control and with it OFF the unit outside is still running becoming a refrigerator with the ice.either the contactor is jammed inside running the comp/condenser fan contactor or you have a wire crossed on the control side causing it(condenser) to be on all the time.shut the outside off on the outside power disconnect and call for the service company.do you have ice on the lines at the air handler inside let that run to defrost also if you can.when the service guy shows up you need him to be outside and you work the stat and prove to him the condenser doesn't shut OFF when the stat is off in cooling.how about pulling the stat off the subbase and see if it still runs nothing should run not even the inside fan.if the unit doesn't run with stat in hand....the stat wiring there or the run out to the air handler or condenser is the problem.if you have a furnace for heating...does the heating side work OK,and does the condenser still run..thats a jammed contactor outside for sure.

Old 09-19-08, 07:15 PM
Arcing of the contactor will cause it to stick and continue running. This will cause the ice on the lines and the compressor. Replace the contactor and you should be good to go.