A/C Fan is getting HOT!

Old 09-17-08, 12:37 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Fan is getting HOT!

Hello All!

My home was not cooling properly and the unit was making a horribly loud noise. We noticed that the fan was not moving but the unit still seemed to be running- so we thought it might be the fan motor. However- after taking apart the fan and cleaning it out a little bit, the fan started to move again. Now the issue we are having is that the fan is getting hot and shutting off. Someone stated it might be the connector- but I do not know for sure. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-17-08, 12:48 PM
L
A/C Fan seems to be getting hot!

Hello All!

My home was not cooling properly and the unit (3 years old) was making a horribly loud noise. We noticed that the fan was not moving but the unit still seemed to be running- so we thought it might be the fan motor. However- after taking apart the fan and cleaning it out a little bit, the fan started to move again. Now the issue we are having is that the fan is getting hot and shutting off. Someone stated it might be the connector- but I do not know for sure. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by larana143; 09-17-08 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add year of a/c
Old 09-17-08, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yer probably due for a new fan, since cleaning helped. How old is it?

Check for any slop side to side in the shaft, and excessive movement end to end. Should spin by hand easily and for more than a turn or two.

If it seems ok, it could be the cap is bad. Cap is about $20-30
Fan is $65-100 depending on model, newer fancier units are more.

When replacing a fan, always replace the associated capacitor.

Don't run it with a bad fan, it can cause more expensive damage.

Always disconnect all sources of power before checks.

EDIT: This is based on the fan and motor for the EXTERIOR unit. I saw your other post, which is excellent advice for the interior air handler. Thats why it's best not to post the same issue in more than one forum. Also, is this a window unit or central a/c? I based it on a central since you said the home was not cooling.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 09-17-08 at 02:52 PM. Reason: assumptions
Old 09-17-08, 02:22 PM
Those motors are air-over cooled, it may not be moving enough air to cool it.

Also, a restricted evaporator coil will increase static pressures to where the blower wheel unloads too much, & that light load can cause some motors to overheat.

It could be other factors, if it has run capacitor, make sure it has the correct voltage, MFD Rating & test it.

Does the motor require lubrication?

Old 09-17-08, 03:30 PM
H
It sounds like there is something internally wrong with motor if it is going off on thermal overload. Bearings could be on their way out. If its a newer unit more than likely it does not have oil ports due to they are self sealed bearings. Also if it was alot of dirt on blower wheel it may have done damage to motor making it work to hard for so long. Time to replace motor.

Old 09-17-08, 06:33 PM
L
Thanks- the home is only 3 years old but the a/c place I called today said the unit is probably 5.

We had changed the contactor today but it did nothing. Wouldn't move unless it was manually pushed. The issue I am having now is finding the correct fan. I called a supply house today and he said he couldn't give me that info without knowing more information. This is after I told him the make and model.

Old 09-18-08, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Ok, now this is very confusing. I think someone merged the threads.

Larana..
Why did you change the "contactor"? If the fan ran after a push and compressor ran, then the contactor was ok. Or did you mean you had to push the contactor in?

You need to be clear in your posts. Did you mean ..had changed "capacitor" today? If a new correct cap didn't help, then the motor is toast

Many units may change over time and have different parts. The supply house will do their best if you remove the motor or take all the info off the motor label plate and give it to them.

Turn off power and discharge the capacitor before removing any wires. Make a drawing and note where wires are connected.

Old 09-18-08, 05:48 PM
Gun, I merged the thread bacuse instead of editing the first thread an identical thread was created with the edit added. You replied to one of them.

larana143, your motor is toast as has been said. Did it ever occur to you that posting the Make, Model, and Serial numbers here just might help us find a motor for you?

Old 09-18-08, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Gotcha J'sdad I knew it was something like that.

Old 09-18-08, 06:20 PM
Probably a way to have done it better, I'm still learning this Mod thing.

Pass the grape jelly please.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: