Question about Window A/C

Old 09-18-08, 03:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question about Window A/C

I have an OLD Coronado Window A/C. Model# ACD1-486. It's a 6,000BTU unit. Unit cools great, but is noisy. I pulled it apart today, and there is a lot of slop in the fan motor shaft. I imagine that it would be best just to replace the unit, but my grandfather gave me the A/C so it has some sentimental value. I was wondering if there's a way to just replace the fan motor, along with the rubber bushings, seeing as those are also shot as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I did do some searching online and didn't find anything of importance. If anyone might know anything I'd appreciate hearing back. Also would like to know if there's anyway to keep the compressor from clanking around in the case when it kicks off. It's done it for years, but I have two kids that sleep in the room with the unit, along with my wife and myself.

Thanks
Cory

Last edited by crazycory22; 09-18-08 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 09-18-08, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry Cory,

Sentimental or not, the only real economical fix is to get a new one.

You would need a new compressor and a new fan w/bushings.

Maybe twice the cost of a new unit.

Old 09-18-08, 06:06 PM
Sad but true. I can imagine what it costs for elecktrickery, too.

Old 09-18-08, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by HVAC Mech.
Sad but true. I can imagine what it costs for elecktrickery, too.
Thanks for the reply guys. The electricity usage can't be as bad as my mother in law that uses a 6200BTU Window unit to try and cool, a living room, family room, and dining room. It never cycles off. Actually quite surprised it hasn't frozen up yet since it NEVER cycles off. Again thanks for the responses concerning my unit.

Old 09-18-08, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by crazycory22
Thanks for the reply guys. The electricity usage can't be as bad as my mother in law that uses a 6200BTU Window unit to try and cool, a living room, family room, and dining room. It never cycles off. Actually quite surprised it hasn't frozen up yet since it NEVER cycles off. Again thanks for the responses concerning my unit.

Hey, we are honest opinion here. Since one of your issues is a sealed system repair (compressor) we can't give any advise about that. Promise keepers type thing.

So you could call a service company at $75 - $100 an hour. They actually could get a comperable motor and mounts. And change the compressor with a comperable replacement.

When all is said and done you will pay for aabout 10 replacement units.

Save your money, or buy 5 new for you and 5 new for your Mother In Law.

Old 09-18-08, 09:15 PM
M
Air Conditioning Repair if you ask We Will Help

You can get another motor from ww grainger or if you have a marcone or other appliance parts distributor in your area.
As far as compressor noise goes unless the compressor is hitting something on the outside there is nothing you can do except get a new unit and see if you can find a museum for that one

Old 09-19-08, 01:34 PM
All it is, is the bottom rubber bushings on the compressor are worn out as well. I watched it cycle on and off, and when it cycles off is when it vibrates and makes the noise. I think I'll just replace it with one that has a remote. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: