compressor not kicking in

Old 09-22-08, 06:19 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
compressor not kicking in

the outside motor is working, but i hear a noise inside the house like the compressor is trying to kick on but it wont. the air is blowing thru the vents but not hard as it should. i change the compacitor, the tstat, and the filters, but it still not kicking in. i hear it trying to but it just wont. is this serious? or is it something that i haven't tried yet that i can fix. the big line is cold and the small line is warm. please help

Old 09-22-08, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by flexx
the outside motor is working,
Meaning the fan outside

but i hear a noise inside the house like the compressor is trying to kick on but it wont. the air is blowing thru the vents but not hard as it should.
The compressor is outside, is that sound from that or are you hearing something else in/near the furnace/air handler?

the big line is cold and the small line is warm.
seems like the compressor is working then...

Old 09-22-08, 08:59 PM
F
yes the fan outside is working, but when Ipull the outside breaker that's by the ouside unit on the wall, and wait for about 3 minutes. then plug it back in. the fan comes on, but if i wait for a minute or so, i can hear something (assuming) the compressor trying to kick on, but it just won't come on. i know it use to come on before by the different sound, but it's trying but unable to. when i am inside the house and turn the unit off i don't hear the sound, but when i turn the unit on, i hear it about every 10 minutes during the day, but not hearing it at night. Thanks for your fast response

Old 09-22-08, 09:53 PM
yes the fan outside is working, but when Ipull the outside breaker that's by the ouside unit on the wall, and wait for about 3 minutes. then plug it back in. the fan comes on, but if i wait for a minute or so, i can hear something (assuming) the compressor trying to kick on, but it just won't come on.
You're putting stress on the compressor. It's trying to start under high head pressure, and it can't fire off.

but it's trying but unable to. when i am inside the house and turn the unit off i don't hear the sound, but when i turn the unit on, i hear it about every 10 minutes during the day, but not hearing it at night. Thanks for your fast response
This only happens in the day time, and at night, the unit runs fine?

Old 09-22-08, 10:28 PM
F
yes it only happens during the day, no noise at night when the sun goes down. i just put the new compacitor on today and the new tstat. i have the tstat set to 68 right now and it's showing 74. air is coming from the vents, but not like my downs stairs unit. should i leave it alone for tonight and mabe the compressor will kick in, or is there another problem?

i only pulled the outside breaker twice today when i installed the compacitor, so i hope i didn't stress the compressor to bad.

when you say trying to start under high head pressure what do you mean?

Old 09-23-08, 05:54 PM
yes it only happens during the day, no noise at night when the sun goes down
Do you have a meter? I am wondering if the unit is not getting full power in the day time, and at night it is.

i have the tstat set to 68 right now and it's showing 74. air is coming from the vents, but not like my downs stairs unit.
68˚ is awful low.... Not really good for the system to run that low of temps...

when you say trying to start under high head pressure what do you mean?
When the compressor run, it compress the gas to a high preassure, and if the unit shuts down, and starts up right way, it has to start aginest the high pressure. some new unit and t-stat has a built in timer to prevent this from happing.

Old 09-23-08, 07:24 PM
F
hello again, yes i have a meter. what do i need to check? today air just came from the vents today, but not really cooling like it should. i stood by the outside unit today and every now an then you can hear something trying to kick in, but not able to. i touch the high pressure line and it was cold and sweating, but the small line was not cold or warm today. there is no freezing at all. about an hour ago i just put the tstat switch from auto to on, so i wont mess nothing else up. i appreciate your response and any help. thanks

Old 09-23-08, 07:57 PM
Sounds like your compressor is having a hard time running.

Put the meter on L1 and L2 at the contactor, and see if it's 240volts in the day time.

There is another way to test it, but I am not going to advise that since it's much more riskier, and you are best to get a pro in.

Old 09-23-08, 08:19 PM
F
thank you, i will try that tomorrow. thanks for all your help. this is a great site

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: