a/c leaking water into lower blower unit

Old 09-24-08, 10:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a/c leaking water into lower blower unit

i have the a coils on top - they said there was a slight crack in the drain panel and that was fixed, work great for awhile and now the water is draining into the blower unit with all the electrical stuff. I opened up and looked under there and there was water dripping all over the place. I noticed the drain pan is completely level and not sloped to the front where the drain pipe is also i noticed that almost all the ducting tape under the drain panel to the blower is gone. isn't the blower part suppose to be completely closed off from the a-coils. Any idea on what to do and how to get the water to quit draining down there? the unit cools the house fine and switches off and on like it's suppose to just water everywhere that is taking a toll on the flooring.
any help or idea will be greatly appreciated

Old 09-24-08, 05:05 PM
G
Is any water drainning thru the drain pipe at all?? You might have a blocked drain pipe if no water can drain thru it. Check that first, hope this helps.

Last edited by mattison; 09-26-08 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Web link removed.
Old 09-24-08, 06:29 PM
M
water water everywhere

Water leaks are one of the most difficult problems to resolve, you need to figure out if the main drain is flowing first if not clear it and your problem is probably solved. If it is flowing and you still have a leak inside you need to figure out if your pan is not holding water or if the water is not flowing down the coil properly, if this is the case then you will have to clean the coil.

Old 09-25-08, 06:12 AM
R
the drian seems to be doing what it is suppose to - i pour water in the pan and it disappears but it doesn't go down into the blower - today i will attempt to clean the coils good. i know you can use 409 and a soft brush it is ok to use a shop vac to suck out the stuff from inside? also should i remove the squirrel cage and clean the coils from the back side also with a soft brush. when i looked under there this morning i could see water stains on the coils under there.

Old 09-25-08, 06:31 AM
Sludge Alert!

Virginia chemical and Calgon sell a no rinse evaporator coil cleaner. (Available at a/c supply houses or Graingers) You can apply this to the top of the coil with a garden sprayer or spray bottle, and let it soak through with gravity. Then run the a/c as usual.
To clear the drain line, get a piece of hose with a 1-1/4" I.D. and push it over the end of the drain line outside. Then blow through it to clear any clog.
There's also small packages of chemicals that you place in the drain pan to keep it and the drain line clean.
A dirty pan could aggravate any allergies to mold you may have, or even lead to Legionnaire's disease.

Last edited by HVAC Mech.; 09-25-08 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-08, 01:35 PM
M
What Happened to my AC

Sounds like your drain and pan are ok so the water must be dropping off the coil before it gets to the bottom or the space between the coil and the pan at the bottom is not letting the water in this happens when things get dirty. You may have to clean the coil more than once to get the water to start going where it is supposed to

Old 09-30-08, 08:46 AM
R
Thumbs up Thank You

THANK YOU so very much for all your help. The unit is hard to get to, so i took the access panel to the hot water off and climbed in there. The coils were so dirty, I shined a flash light in there and they were just cover with stuff. So i used a cleaner and brush to loosen everything, used a shop vac to suck it out of there, and then used a coil cleaner, had to repeat the process a couple of time but a/c runs great now. no water, it shuts off and on, and the house seems alot cooler, maybe now the electric bill will start to go down. Mark this up as a lesson learner and will do alot more preventive maint from now on. Like cleaning it real good when it gets shut down and even before it gets started up next year. Again thank you for all your help.

Old 10-03-08, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
DIYer proper tools

Yeah it is quite a feeling of accomplishment to do the coil cleaning and Know that it is done right. I keep a small shopvac and a set of the adaptors in my truck. The adaptors go down to a real small size and extra long so you can typically get to any coils and really do a thorough job of vaccuming the loose materials and then the funk that gets into the drain pan and will stop up your drain. Trust me you will probably have more patience and do a better cleaning job than 90% of the techs that come out. Get yourself the proper Evaporator norinse coil cleaner and some small brushes plus a good garden sprayer and enjoy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: