Is This Normal For a 2 Year Old Goodman?

Old 09-27-08, 11:10 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is This Normal For a 2 Year Old Goodman?

Although my AC is functioning, there are two things that I am worried about with my two year old Goodman outdoor air conditioner unit.

1. When it is running there is a buzzing sound coming from the unit. I am guessing it is the compressor, but I am just wondering how loud this is supposed to be. This may have been the same volume as when the unit was new, but I am noticing it now because of concern #2.

2. For the last few days whenever the AC turns on I hear the outdoor unit trying to start about 3-4 times before it fully kicks over. The fan will spin normally and then I hear an "ugg-ing" sound for about 3 -5 seconds then turns off. After about a minute the "ugg-ing" sound tries again for a few seconds and turns off. After about the 3rd or 4th time it doesn't turn off and then runs normally.

The system is working correctly and cools my house well, but I just want to keep up on maintenance and catch any glitches before they turn into expensive problems down the road.

Thanks for your thoughts.
-Pete

Old 09-27-08, 12:38 PM
J
I am a home owner and not a tech, but it is obvious the unit is failing and about to fail completely (condenser).

Goodman has a very good Warranty in place. They also offer an extended warranty for very cheap.

If the Goodman was installed legit, the warranty will be good on a 2 year old unit. Call Goodman, veify the warranty and have it serviced.

By the way, you came to the right place. There is another hvac forum out there full of idiotic Bob's "contractors" who attack Goodman with no good reason.

Last edited by joe1234; 09-27-08 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 02:05 PM
G
Thanks for the reply. I was worried that was going to be the answer.
The person that installed it was a co-worker of my father in-law who used to own an HVAC company and still has a valid license and accounts at the distributors. I work for a small service related company and know the troubles of cash flow and warranty work, so I was trying to save him a trip.

Old 09-27-08, 02:12 PM
J
I currently have a 5-ton Trane system and I am going to be replacing the entire A/C system.

I have been in contact with Goodman manufacturing to make sure I understand their policies with respect to Warranty to make sure Goodman honors the 10 Year and lifetime Warranties.

Goodman manufacturing says that as long as the system is installed by a Licensed HVAC tech, the Warranty is valid.

Since you had your system installed by a licensed hvac person, your warranty is valid. You will obviously want to check with Goodman to verify all of this, but this is what I am told so far and I am keeping my emails as proof.

Let us know how it turns out and if Goodman honors your warranty - I sure like to know since I am considering a complete Goodman A/C system.

Old 09-27-08, 02:28 PM
G
I am not worried about the Goodman warranty as I don't see that as a problem. I was trying to save a trip for the person who is no longer full time in the HVAC trade and does this on a moonlighting schedule. With his part time availability and my busy work schedule it is really difficult to arrange a time when both of us are available.
Plus the Goodman warranty, if I read the website correctly, is a parts only 10 year warranty. That means the friend that did us a favor to save us some money will either have to charge us or not get paid for servicing the AC.

I try to lookout for more than just my bottom line because I know what these kind of trips cost the small business owner as well as the homeowner.

I will give him a call during the week and keep this thread updated as this situation gets resolved.

Old 09-27-08, 02:32 PM
H
first in for most the buzzing sound you are hearing is the contactor,not the compressor or the conensor fan. the contactor may buzz if week or dirty contacts.that is a very inexpincive part usely about $25 -50 dollars plus labor,
you should clean and service your equipment every year
hose out the condensor coil with water (outdoor unit)
and clean or replace your indoor furnace filter most forget to do so .

Old 09-27-08, 02:38 PM
J
Originally Posted by Gecko
I try to lookout for more than just my bottom line because I know what these kind of trips cost the small business owner as well as the homeowner.
Ah ok, now I understand you. I am very much the same way.

So here is a question. For the Goodman warranty to work if the system needs a part, does the same person/company who installed the Goodman unit has to be the same one who fixes it?

Or are you able to call any valid Goodman contractor to fix your unit and be able to use the warranty?

Old 09-27-08, 06:38 PM
If the warantee card was filled out and submitted upon installation, then any licensed contractor can do the repairs. Then it's up to you to send the bill into Goodman. Usually not a problem. You might make copies of and send in paperwork from the installer, too.

Old 09-27-08, 08:56 PM
T
Your first problem is that it's a goodman.

Old 09-27-08, 08:59 PM
G
Originally Posted by Troy_1
Your first problem is that it's a goodman.
Quite helpful. Thanks.

(need to add characters to the message to make it long enough. ass)

Old 09-27-08, 09:05 PM
J
Originally Posted by HVAC Mech.
If the warantee card was filled out and submitted upon installation, then any licensed contractor can do the repairs. Then it's up to you to send the bill into Goodman. Usually not a problem. You might make copies of and send in paperwork from the installer, too.
What is the difference between a Licensed HVAC tech and a "licensed contractor", or are they the same?

Old 09-27-08, 09:11 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

The symptom you are describing sounds like a compressor is having a hard time starting and as it is only 2 years old it makes me think that either there was a problem with the installation or it has been running with a dirty filter for extended periods.
You can alleviate the symptom by installing a hard start kit and you won't have any warranty issues as the distributor will just look at the unit serial number when whoever replaces the parts takes them back.
The problem is that with your compressor having these kind of issues at 2 years the life expectancy does not look good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: