Central Air not working

Old 09-27-08, 11:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central Air not working

Noticed the last few days i would hear a rattling noise in the air vents upstairs. The power was reset on the breakers in the house now the airconditioner wasnt blowing out air. tried to open the door cause its in the hallway and it was wet all over the floor inside which it wasnt before. Now when i try to purge or reboot and turn on it makes noise like it starting and a few seconds later it dies and doesnt do anything. there is a small window on the bottom of the unit and it flashes a faint red light which i havent noticed before. Any ideas? we don't really have any money to have anyone repair it.

Old 09-28-08, 01:33 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
you say its wet all over the floor. is this right next to the air handler/furnace. if so it sounds like the main drain line is clogged and overflowing the drip pan so the unit is shutting off due to too much water.

Old 09-28-08, 02:11 AM
J
How do i fix the problem? its under the furnace. How would i go about trying to unclog it?

Old 09-28-08, 08:52 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
if you have access to the drain pipe maybe snake it out then pour drain cleaned down it.alot of these units have a float in the pan and if it gets too full it shuts down the unit.

Old 09-28-08, 07:12 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

It sounds like you may have a main drain plugged up when they can't drain where they are supposed to the overflow should be catching in an auxiliary pan there may be a float switch in there shutting the system down, look for that it is also possible that you have frozen up and your evaporator is solid ice and your unit is running and you just don't know it. Another possibility is your indoor fan is not running and your coil is frozen up causing the water. Check these possibilities and let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: