I drilled a whole on my AC wall unit please help

Old 09-28-08, 11:08 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I drilled a whole on my AC wall unit please help

Hello,
I was trying to make a whole in the back of my AC to drain the water out since my downstairs neighbor was complaining about water hitting her apartment. I drilled a whole and I was pushing it went through and now its bubbling and gas is coming out, is there anything I can do or do I have to buy another unit? please help.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-28-08, 11:58 AM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
It would most likely be most cost efficient to replace the unit with a new one.

While it could be repaired, room AC units are not all that expensive and given the season, you should be able to find some deals on them as well.

Old 09-28-08, 02:57 PM
Like Nap said, you best to retire it.. It's going to cost you far more money to repair it then get a new unit.

FYI, Do not drill a hole in the new unit! They are designed to sling the water up on the hot coil to help cool it down and save energy.

Old 09-28-08, 04:18 PM
S
your definity going to get a new condensate pan out of it don't even try getting it repaied....it probably rotted out and never making the condensate and the air blowing up and thru didn't help.

Old 09-28-08, 06:37 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

It can be fixed but you will need a torch, vacuum pump a set of gauges and legally be able to buy refrigerant. If you have to call someone and this is a window unit, pitch it you will save money.
Next time remember the reason the water was not coming out the way it was supposed to is that it was dirty if you would have taken it out and cleaned it you would have been in better shape. No worries though I did the same thing in 1982 that is how I learned what not to do.

Old 09-28-08, 08:01 PM
J
Check with your downstairs neighbor for mold. Water going through a 2nd floor is usually only noticed when a leak has been there for a long time.

Black mold is nasty and a health hazard for you and your neighbor.

Old 10-16-08, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
mike n I also did the same thing many years ago when mounting a window unit except I ran a screw into the coil. My dad showed me the wonders of a brazing torch/silfos brazing rod/clamp on service ports etec etc. I have been hooked on HVAC repair ever since then, that is what got me started in the trade. Sure brings back some memories lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: