High pitched whistle from outdoor a/c unit

Old 10-02-08, 06:10 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question High pitched whistle from outdoor a/c unit

I've been hearing a loud whistle sound that comes from the outdoor part of my home A/C system. It seems to cool just fine but makes that noise when it shuts off.

It doesn't sound like a belt slipping but more like a high pressure gas release of some sort.

Is this something I need to worry about? (can I fix it?)

Old 10-02-08, 05:25 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Shouldn't do this, but untill you can find out where the whistle come from, it will be hard to fix. There are only two moving items in your outside unit: fan and compressor. SO, what you can do is try to test your fan first by turning it on and off, and see if that generates the whistle. if not, then it is your compressor.
Suggestions, test it out now. Unless the whistle really bother you, then call a tech, otherwise, watch and wait.

Old 10-02-08, 05:37 PM
Sounds like you have lots of high pressure gas equalizing into the low side.

Is the coil clean? How old is the unit? Has it ever been serviced?

Old 10-03-08, 05:17 AM
J
It does sound like a high pressure gas release of some sort... certainly not a squeal I'd associate with a worn out fan/belt.

I cant tell exactly where on the unit it comes from, I'll have to see if I can figure that out.

As for age/servicing.. I'm not sure. I just bought this house. I know the inside (attic) part of the system was replaced this year but the outside one was not.

Old 10-03-08, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
probably a mismatch

Since the government mandated swap to a minimum of 13 SEER system problems caused by mismatched components is starting to be a real common theme. You will have to have a competent tech examine your systen to determine the problem, most likely you have a a mismatched system and two or more controls are fighting each other when the unit shuts down. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: