1.5 ton or 2 ton??

Old 10-04-08, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1.5 ton or 2 ton??

I am having new furnaces and A/C put in my home. The contractor said I needed a 2 ton a/c unit mated with a 45kbtu 90+ 2stage variable speed furnace for the area of my home thats around 760sq.ft. The other half would need a 90kbtu furnace with a 3 ton a/c unit for an area about 1750sq.ft.

My question is that on the Goodman website(they are goodman units being installed) it says I should have a 1.5 ton a/c unit for the smaller half of the home. Contractor says the 2 ton will be fine. Not sure how much more the 2 ton unit is costing, but it is 16 seer. The 1.5 ton unit is 15 seer.

So, will the 2 ton unit be ok? I've read where you don't want to oversize your a/c units for certain reasons.

Thanks
STUB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 06:40 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Your HVAC company should do a heat load on the home to see what size you need. With out this it is a guess!

Old 10-04-08, 08:16 AM
When in doubt go smaller. It'll run longer, dehumidify better, and need fewer cfm from what is typically an undersized duct system.

Old 10-04-08, 11:56 AM
Air Conditioning questions

I was not aware Goodman was sizing equipment on there website (that doesn't sound like a smart corporate decisions to me but what do I know) anyway ditto to the load calc you don't want to oversize but you definitely don't want to undersize because people get really irritated when they spend $5000 for an air conditioner and the first 95 degree day they walk in there home in the afternoon and it is 85 degrees inside and the air conditioner has run from 9:30 in the morning until the sun goes down. This makes your wife testy! and when momma ain't happy...