What is the booster in AC outside unit ?

Old 10-05-08, 08:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the booster in AC outside unit ?

A year or so ago, my AC compressor failed to start, but the outside fan was started OK when they were called. An AC tech replaced capacitor first, but that did not fix the problem. Then, he put in another cylinder shape unit connected next to the capacitor, told me that is a booster to help to start the compressor. After that, the compressor starts fine. Can anyone tell me what is that booster unit ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-08, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Pretty sure thats called a "hard start kit". Don't really know how it works though. If you Google that term it may explain it.

Old 10-05-08, 03:58 PM
Hard Start is the correct term. I call it a Super Boost. It's a start capacitor and potential relay in one unit. No Muss No Fuss.

Basically give the old, tight, high starting torque compressor a big kick in the behind to get it running. Then it's out of the cicuit until the next start.

Here's a link:
Super Boost

Old 10-05-08, 05:02 PM
Thanks. that help... .. .

Old 10-07-08, 03:24 PM
if they had installed a adjustable time delay relay it would of solved your no start also.when the compressor goes off from the stat being satified the pressures need time to equalize from 240 PSI high side to 65 PSI low side.if the stat calls the compressor in before it get to say 150 PSI it will have a hard time starting again the higher pressure..and adding that booster solves the problem but can create another.that booster pushes the winding amperage to long to get it to start and over the years breaks them down.results will be a burning out of the compressor, contactor,and freon ....major bucks $$$$$. installing a adj.time delay on the 24Vs line within the compressor would be safer in the long run.

Old 10-07-08, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by sminker View Post
if they had installed a adjustable time delay relay it would of solved your no start also.when the compressor goes off from the stat being satified the pressures need time to equalize

True, if that were the original problem and just a tight compressor. Or a compressor getting on in years that needs help getting out if it's easy chair.

Old 10-09-08, 07:36 AM
Sminker, Thank you for the info. I understand the theory now. but it is an old unit(about 16 years old). Won't start even wait for over night, this booster helps now. consider a replacement in a year or two or next time it breaks down. Thanks.

Old 10-09-08, 02:38 PM
16 years thats a lot of starts and it doesn't owe you anything probably a hermetic style compressor get a new one in the future with a nice SCROLL compressor,and you will see a drop on your electric bill during a normal run in the summer.i had a commercial space with single phase 208V ,and they were tripping the CBs on hot days the owner went with those boosters and starting burning compressors out instead of that TD trick.......good luck