Want AC to start after power failure

Old 10-16-08, 06:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Want AC to start after power failure

After a power failure, my big AC turns back on automatically (if it was on when the failure occurred, obviously). The AC in my room doesn't... both are digital. Is there anything I can do to get the AC in my room to do the same? Probably a very noob question, sorry in advance.

Old 10-16-08, 07:19 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

I do not have enough information to help you. Why are the units not working. Unless a breaker trips or a fuse blows when the power goes off your system should restart with no problem

Old 10-16-08, 07:41 PM
R
Sometimes lights go out in my house. Whole block without electricity for 10mins. Then when electricity returns, the AC in my room does not turn back on even though it was on before. It is digital, not analog (analog always turn back on because they work with a switch). The other unit that is also digital turns on in the same scenario.

Old 10-17-08, 04:32 AM
N
It sounds like it is a feature built in to the AC unit. Since it is microprocessor controlled, there really isn't anything you can do. I might try contacting the manufacturer of the AC's tech support and see if there is a "software mod" you can do by pressing buttons on it in a certain sequence. That's a long shot, but it's worth a try.

Old 10-17-08, 08:10 PM
M
Air Conditioning Problems

What kind of digital thermostat do you have it may be that you just need to put new batteries in your thermostat so it will not lose it's program when the power is off.

Old 10-18-08, 03:18 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
It is my understanding that "Richard Pryor" has central air conditioning AND a window unit in his house. He states the central unit DOES restart automatically after power is restored but the window unit stays off when power is restored. He is asking how to modify the window unit to also restart when power is restored.

The thermostat for the central unit, whether powered by the central unit or by means of internal batteries has nothing to do with the window unit.

Richard, the likelihood of you getting the window unit to also restart after power is restored is slim to none. It's just the nature of the beast and the way it was designed. Unless you are willing to completely gut the electronic control unit and replace it with a mechanical/electrical control (which would void any warranty) you are probably out of luck.

Old 10-18-08, 08:09 PM
N
I'd just sell the digital control unit and buy a manual control AC.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: