Air compressor running at heat setting

Old 10-22-08, 06:23 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air compressor running at heat setting

I disconnect the Thermostat to paint the wall. I have 4 wires coming from the unit. I wired the thermostat as followed.
red - Rc, Rh
green-green
white-white
blue-yellow

Now when I go and turn the heat on, the air compressor works with the fan and after a while the furnace comes on. Before, when I switch the setting to heat, the furnace will light and I guess when it reached certain temp the fan came on.

Somebody please help. Its getting cold...
Thanks.

Old 10-22-08, 07:40 PM
M
Heating Repair

It sounds like you hooked it up right (I am guessing you had blue on the Y terminal before) although it would have been easier to put a yellow wire on Y. So my guess is that you have conductors coming together at the terminations or you have a digital stat with a subbase and one of the pins is missaligned. Make sure you do not have any of the wires touching or that all the pins are straight.

Old 10-23-08, 07:19 AM
G
I believe I had blue connect to Y before. What happen was that the little pieces of paper that were on the wires for verification fell off. I went down to the unit and checked out the wiring and yes the blue was connected to the Y. I also checked the pins. They were straight. I'm confused. Why would the furnace fan and air compressor come on at the same time at heat settings?

Old 10-23-08, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by gti27
I disconnect the Thermostat to paint the wall. I have 4 wires coming from the unit. I wired the thermostat as followed.
red - Rc, Rh
green-green
white-white
blue-yellow
I see you got Rc/Rh wired up..

G?
W?
Y?

Make sure a wire is not shorting/touching each other.

Now when I go and turn the heat on, the air compressor works with the fan and after a while the furnace comes on.
Your Air Compressor in the garage is running? :-) Or did you mean the Air conditioner?

Old 10-23-08, 07:53 AM
G
LOL.The fan outside of the house. So yes the air conditioner. All the other wires are connected too. The blue wire to the Y terminal, the green wire to the G terminal and the white wire to the W terminal. Maybe the wires inside of the wall are shorting out. How do I test to see if a wire is shorting out?
Thanks

Old 10-23-08, 07:58 AM
yeah, I am guessing something is shorting out on you.

For kicks, remove the Y wire at the t-stat and see what's happen.

if it stops, then it may be the t-stat.. But you may have the wrong stat, or it may be set up wrong. What's the make and model # of the t-stat?

I have to go out and get the yard work done beofre we get the next round of rain! so I will post back when I get back into the house.

Also, if it turns out that the A/C is still running after you removed the Y wire, go out and shut down the power at the unit outside. (or A/C breaker at the main panel)

Old 10-23-08, 08:04 AM
G
Its a Honeywell CT3500 Programmable Thermostat. I dont think it wrong because before I disconnected everything it was working fine. Ill try the Y disconnect and see what happens. Also shouldn't the furnace come on first and when it gets to certain temp the blower comes on?
Thanks.

Old 10-23-08, 10:15 AM
H
Sometime on the back side of the t-stat there is a switch for heat pump or gas. maybe you accidently switched it over to hp

Old 10-23-08, 02:52 PM
I think Hvac hit it on the nail!

Old 10-23-08, 05:54 PM
M
Heating Help

There may be a switch for electric or gas heat but if it is a heat pump it will have more functions (and more terminals) than a regualar thermostat. I am guessing you have a jumper between W1 and Y just guessing.

Old 10-23-08, 08:12 PM
G
I found out what the problem was. I put in a screw and the screw pinched the wire causing it to short. It took me 2 days to fix this stupid thing. Thanks for everybody who replied back.
Thanks

Old 10-23-08, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Now you can be warm again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: