Dented condenser - how best to fix?

Old 10-26-08, 02:26 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dented condenser - how best to fix?

So my central air condenser outside got a pretty good size dent on the top of it (next to the grated area where the fan sits). When it rains, water collects there and actually gets some reddish moldy stuff forming in it as the water does not evaporate. I am afraid of mold/rust, especially with winter coming up. So my question is, how best can I fix this dent so no water collects there?

- something to actually fill in the dent as I would wood with wood filler? No idea is something even exists.

- also thought about maybe a sheet of sheet metal that is typically used to form ducts. take a sheet of that, attach with small self tapping screws and run clear silicone around it and the screw holes. Not sure about that material in the 90 degree sun or 10 degree winter though.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-26-08, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Take the top off, disconnect the fan if attached to the top cover, and smack it out with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer. Go slow. You can protect the surface with whatever you need or have. A sand bag or bag of sand will help cushion the other side.

You could also try dry ice but thats kinda tricky.

Any holes from screws will eventually rust out. And nothing you fill it with will adhere well without sanding the surface, which could cause rusting as well.

Old 10-26-08, 03:47 PM
S
if the top grateing and motor can be removed so you have just basically the top ring metal cap that holds both of those items.put it in a vise to get it started back to normal or a giant clamp and work the dent out ...if you can heat the area of the dent,and slam it with a ballpean hammer as it heats up on a closed vise might just have to sand it,and prime it with new paint.

Old 11-01-08, 07:55 PM
stop in at your local northern tool store and pick up a suction cup dent puller attach it and yank that puppy out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: