AC duct rerouting

Old 11-28-08, 06:51 PM
M
Received 9 Upvotes on 7 Posts
AC duct rerouting

I am remodeling my bathroom and after removing the low 7' ceiling I finally realized why the ceiling was so low.

The original ceiling was 8' tall as I can tell from the original joists. However some time ago a previous owner must have upgraded or modified the AC handler in the attic. The air handler still fits in the attic above the 8' ceiling space, but since there are returns coming from rooms on both sides of the air handler, one of the return have to go below the AC handler and then come back up to tie in with the other return. The original returns are in sheet metal and the duct that goes under and back up is an insulated accordian type duct.

The 7' tall ceiling was just so this coil can go under the AC unit.

After looking at this I think I found a route where this can go without dipping below the 8' ceiling and if I can pull this off I will build the ceiling back to 8'.

However it will involve making some sheet metal duct that may change shapes three times along the way - it needs to be wider in some spots where it has to be shallower to have the same cross sectional area.

I called a few AC companies and they are not interested in such a project, they want to sell me a new air handler and keep the returns the way they are. I want to keep the air handler (nothing wrong with it) and construct a new duct so I can use 8' of ceiling. So I guess AC companies are not the right professional to call.

Who should I call for this? Custom sheet metal fabricator?

Thanks,

Old 11-28-08, 08:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No you called the right people. Its a small job that we would not like to take unless we need the work. Call them back in 8 weeks. They (we) might would do any thing then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: