Goodman A/C heat pump failed

Old 12-02-08, 08:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman A/C heat pump failed

Good morning all members of this elite group, to which I just joined. Thanks for all your help you may be able to give me.

I have a Goodman model CPLJ60-1B, serial number 0502111971, which I am told by my local A?C guy is kapoot (compressor gone).
I built this house, and the unit as I understand it, was manufactured in Feb of 05

My question to the group is, since this unit is little over three years old, and even though I have not a scrap of paperwork that went with the unit (long story...), is there any chance that it could be covered, at least in part, under warranty?

Thanks.

My A/C guy wants to replace it, and I thought I might do a little checking on the side. Appreciate any help. John

Old 12-02-08, 09:09 AM
M
John,

Goodmans come with a Bristol compressor, and have a prorated 10yr factory warranty. For your local A/C guy should be able to take it to the supply house for and exchange. SHould not be too expensive to fix. Just remember the compressors under warranty, not the labor.

Good Luck

Old 12-02-08, 09:09 AM
J
Oh, I just heard back from the tech. He tells me that Goodman will warranty the compressor, but that it will cost me "between 500 and 1,000.00 for shipping, and freon and his services to install it. Any ideas, and thanks again. I appreciate it. John

Old 12-02-08, 05:45 PM
H
The company I work for only charges about 400 to replace a warrenty compressor. Normally there is no shipping charge unless he overnights it from somewhere else.

Old 12-03-08, 05:30 AM
T
I agree, $400-$500 is about right for that job.

I would get a couple of prices from other contractors.

I don't trust someone who:

A) Didn't tell you originally the compressor was under warranty.

B) Gives you such a wide $500-$1000 price range for a straight forward job.

Old 12-03-08, 02:22 PM
S
Hmmm 400 bones that is darn good price if it is done correctly. I do not think I could do that if the unit was brought to my shop along with the new compressor. Lets do a bit of figuring here.
Pickup replacement compressor/new liquid line and suction line filter drier (this is a burnout and not to install a suction line drier nearly guarantess future failure of the replacement compressor) Minimum 1 hours at 45 per hour = 45 Compressor changeout and unit start up testing minimum 8 man hours at 45 = 360 Materials cost - Refrigerant/filter driers/misc fittings and consumables plus there is always a charge for the warranty compressor usually 50 dollars even though it is under warranty so figure about 250 here for materials more if the unit is like some of the old Lennox Heat Pumps that take 12lbs of refrigerant. Now we probably have a 85 bones charge in there for the original service and diagnosis call. Now you have to make a seconfd trip out after a week or so to pull the suction filter drier out so add in another 200 bones. So Total on a straightforward compressor replacement job would be around 900 bones minimum. Most likely upon startup the real problem will rear it ugly head and get diagnosed like a bad conedensor fan that caused the compressor to die in the first place, so figure in some more cost there. Anyway if you boys want to take on the diagnosis and compressor changeouts and guarantee your work for 400 bones I can probably keep you working 24/7. Let me know when you want to start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: